1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Press any key to boot from CD" then still goes to Windows instead of blue screen..??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Darren7543, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darren7543

Darren7543 Thread Starter

I'm trying to reformat the hard drive on our 2nd computer, and I have properly changed (and saved) the BIOS settings for Boot priority to "CD/DVD". In fact, I disabled all other choices for 2nd and 3rd priorities, etc. All the tech support/instruction articles I've found tell me I've succeeded here if I get the line "Press any key to boot from CD", which I have. However, when I press a key, in a moment it starts Windows up just like always, instead of giving me the blue screen.

The CD seems fine. I checked it from within windows, and the computer reads it correctly, and when I click on Setup, it brings up the menu of installation options, just like I want it to from the blue screen. Its just that I can't get to that point after the "Press any key..." part in the boot process.

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Darren

2. barkerb23

barkerb23

whe the screen comes up. go to the 2nd thing on the list (should be the cd drive) and then press enter. let it sit for about 2 minutes and then press enter. but when i boot from my cd sometimes. i click the cd drive then it loads. it will do somethings first. if u need another disk, tell me. as long as you have the key your okay. i can give you a link to download a disk, then burn it with www.freeisoburner.com all u need is a blank cd. but what OS is on the boot disk? home or pro?

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

See if pressing F12 key during startup, does bring up a menu with a choice to start from the CD/DVD drive and use that option.

4. barkerb23

barkerb23

is it F12 or F11?? i thought it was 11. idk

5. Darren7543

I didn't mention it earlier, but I had already tried that as well. I did it again just to be sure...and it is F11 on mine, which brings up 3 choices. The 3rd one (not the 2nd) is CD/DVD, so I pick that, and its the same result: Windows starts up like usual instead of a blue screen.

Perhaps another boot disk would be a good idea to try...I'm willing to give it a shot! I don't know how to determine if my Windows XP is home or pro. I do have the key, though. Should I e-mail it to you?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a PS/2 keyboard and connection, try that.

You might also check BIOS settings to see if legacy USB support is enabled.

7. barkerb23

barkerb23

dont you have the sticker on the side of your pc? if not. right click on my computer, go to properties. and it will say if its home or pro

8. Darren7543

Okay, found it - its Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002.

9. barkerb23

barkerb23

good! ok. what you need: - blank CD-R - download www.freeisoburner.com - Downloading privledges. ok. now. email me at <email removed> and i will show you how to do this

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

This is a public forum. Please keep your communications inside the forum. It is also unwise to post your email since bots will pick it up and flood you with spam.

You can "show how to do it" in the forum. But the problem does not appear to be with the disk.

11. barkerb23

barkerb23

i dont care about bots. and this is settled. he talked to me

12. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

barkerb23,

Did you read the Rules for the Forum/Site?

I'm a Moderator (on a different site) and you'd be close to getting a 30 day ban.

13. barkerb23

barkerb23

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Please explain the solution to us.

In any case, the rules on outside communications are quite clear. Did you read them?

15. Darren7543

Original question poster here...gosh, I didn't mean to get anyone in trouble, I just thought he was a nice guy trying to help me with something specific to my issue (plus I didn't know if it was advisable to post my Windows XP product key # in a public forum). I certainly will avoid communicating with anyone from here privately, now that I am aware of this important rule!

Anyway, I'm still stuck. I've researched it more today...I'm guessing this is something simple for someone who knows what they're talking about...but apparently most Windows XP CDs were made to be bootable CDs, but some people have one that is not, which seems to be my situation.

So, my questions are:
    1.) Should I create a bootable CD? There are lots of instructions all over the internet on how to do this, but often with cautions about how I won't be able to troubleshoot my installation or something like that.

2.) Can I then assume I'll be able to "boot" with the "bootable CD", and then somewhere in there switch it to my Windows XP CD to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP?

Oh, and Elvandil, I'm sorry but I don't understand your suggestion about having a PS/2 keyboard connection, or how "legacy USB" would help...

Thanks in advance for help and advice from anyone!

Darren

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972266

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice