1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Pressing F11 on boot tp get factory does nothing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

HP Pavilion p6717c serial number bv581aa#aba running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with Service Pack 1 and an HP keyboard. The recovery partition is in place and all files seem to be there.

Pressing F11 repeatedly every second on boot produces no response and computer boots to Windows 7 normally. It also appears the system recovery in Windows All Programs menu has been removed or uninstalled.

This is a legal copy of Windows 7 that came on the system when new.

I have Googled and have searched the HP site and found no help.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    Try holding down the escape key at boot for startup options.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HP Pavilion p6717c Desktop PC (BV581AA)
    According to its support site, it was introduced in November 2010 and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    What's the exact serial number (not the product number) on yours?

HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Alex Ethridge

Pavilion p6717c PN:bv581aa#aba SN:3CR05100SY. This computer came originally with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

It was ordered directly from HP and 32-bit was an option back then. 64-bit was relatively new back then and there were a lot of hardwares that had no 64-bit drivers and softwares that would not run on 64-bit.

So we ordered 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

And he still has one mission-critical program today that runs only on 32-bit and the developer is out of business and no 64-bit version was ever released.

Thanks for the link; but, I have been through that page and several others like it, all about the same and no help. Seems to me there should be a way to reinstall recovery manager; but, it appears HP has chosen to not give us that option.

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

Some models you have to hit the escape key then F11.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that serial number, that HP Pavilion p6717c Desktop PC was purchased new in April 2012.
    Its support site has only Windows 7 64-bit drivers for all of its primary devices(chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet).
    That serial number at the HP recovery center site brings up a recovery disc kit only for Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm not questioning that yours came with a different Windows 7 version and bit number.
    I'm just advising you what I found.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Alex Ethridge

Yes, I found all of that, too.

When we ordered that computer, my friend had a scanner and printer for which no 64-bit drivers were available. That and some of his software was also 32-bit only.

That's why we ordered 32-bit.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  9. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
    Check here for "RecoveryMgr.exe"
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Recovery

This is where it is on my x64 system.
    If the file is there open it and start the recovery process.

10. Alex Ethridge

Thanks but 32-bit Windows systems do not have an (x86); but, the file does not exist anywhere on the system, neither does the folder.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Look in the Recovery Partition for a file named setup.exe or similar, when run it could start the recovery process.

12. billmcct

billmcct

First Name:
    Bill
  13. kenbok51

kenbok51

I doubt this is the issue but I just have to mention it. I have an older logitech keyboard that has a foible that buyers of the model really hated. There was a sort of F lock button on the keyboard that disabled the F keys during boot up unless you pressed it to turn it on. That meant to get into Safe Mode for instance, I had to start the PC and wait for the keyboard to light up, then press the F lock key prior to pressing F8 to enter Safe Mode. It was a real pain. I still have the board but I don't use it.

To test to see if the F11 key is even working, just open a browser and press it once then again. It will resize the browser to full screen and back again if it's working.

14. Alex Ethridge

Thanks but did that yesterday and when run, produces about missing files.

15. Alex Ethridge

Did that before the initial post. I don't remember the exact response but didn't work.

EDIT: there were no .EXE files.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice