1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pressing keys

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by guitarist968, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

When playing Counter Strike on my computer, I must hold down certain keys for long periods of time (like hold W to move forward, and S to go backward, you get it).

My oldest computer is a 600mhz Pentium 3 Win 98. When I hold W or other keys for long periods of time, it will stop for a second and beep. This gets really annoying when playing a game.

How can I fix this?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't really know what is causing that, perhaps it is a resource problem caused by conflicts with something else running.

However you might also try going to the Control Panel's Keyboard applet and try modifying the repetition timing on the keyboard to see if any adjustments there help.

3. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

same problem, any other suggestions?

and by the way, it happens with any program.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Not really; if you release or tap the key for a moment do you still get the error? You may need to give the processor time to catch up; you are probably overrunning a buffer of some kind.

When you typically run these games, what do you also have running concurrently in the Close Programs Window?

People are often unaware of what is running in the background, thinking that because they have not opened any other programs, there should be no conflicts.

You can post a HijackThis Scanlog, if you want this reviewed.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice