1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pressing on scroll wheel does not engage smooth scrolling

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hhannam, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    While smooth scrolling works fine with my Chrome browser when I engage it by pressing down once on my scroll wheel, my neighbor, who is also using Chrome (We both use Windows 10 also), does not get smooth scrolling when you press down on his mouse's scroll wheel. Is that possibly because of his mouse's features /capabilities, a Chrome issue, or something else?

Thanks for looking

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Pressing the mouse wheel enables scrolling by moving the mouse (notice the mouse cursor changes). It's a Windows function and should work in all browsers. If it's not enabling, it's most likely a mouse issue. Could be a faulty mouse, or there is mouse software installed and the mouse button has been remapped.

3. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick

Thanks Oddba11......I thought it was a Windows function, but didn't know. The mouse is a cheap one and the scroll wheel is not very efficient to begin with....kinduva sloppy control that intermittently doesn't work, so I think there is a good chance that it is a mouse problem. What just occurred to me (due to my limited gray matter) is that I should take my Logitech mouse and dongle receiver over to my neighbor's computer and see if it gets the smooth scrolling when pressing down the wheel. If it does, then we'll know it's a mouse issue.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes, that is an excellent way to determine a mouse issue.

5. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Surprisingly my Logitech mouse didn't smooth scroll on my neighbor's computer either, so apparently it isn't a problem with his mouse after all.

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Any brand specific mouse software will typically have the ability to remap buttons. There are also third party apps for remapping keys/buttons. So it's entirely possible the button has been remapped or disabled.

You may be able to use a software like this to verify the button configuration. Although I'm not sure if it will show if other software is remapping. > http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14400/use-those-extra-mouse-buttons-to-increase-efficiency/

7. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    As I said in my last reply, it doesn't appear to be a mouse issue (button configuration or otherwise) because my mouse and button configuration has smooth scrolling on my computer, but not his. I do appreciate the link you sent nonetheless....gonna tuck that away in a file for future reference. Thanks!

8. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Mouse > software > drivers > OS

I read what you said (ie: both mice do not work on his computer), so yes, you are correct, it's not a mouse issue. That doesn't rule out a button mapping issue. Based on the path noted above, it's either a software (ie: button mapping) issue or the OS (ie: likely the registry) is corrupted in some way.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice