1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prevent apps appearing on menu

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Castle_Rock, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Castle_Rock

Castle_Rock Thread Starter

Hmm, I thought Vista came with a program that would allow the sys admin to choose which programs when accessed to not appear on the start menu. I know there are registry edits that accomplish the same thing, but isn't there a program to do this?

I can't locate the shortcut, but the main reason for this is mainly for programs I don't access on a regular basis, such as paint, or notebook.

Thanks for any ideas anyone can give me.

2. AssassinWarrior

AssassinWarrior

so basically you have programs that startup upon system start up?

type "msconfig" on the search bar in the start button (microsoft logo button bottom left) and press enter, then go to the "start up" tab and you can choose to uncheck any you dont want to show or start up when system loads.

3. Castle_Rock

:confused:

I was referring to the "start menu", for one, not the automatic start-up apps, I already know how to disable those needbe.

4. AssassinWarrior

AssassinWarrior

well i dont know about changing its behaviors but i know how you can find their shortcuts, if you right click the icons in the start menu, there should be a "locate file/on disk" (something like that) option at the bottom somewhere.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you tried right-clicking the Start button?

Have you now found a way to do this? I do know what you mean, at least. You want to eliminate some programs from showing up there after you use them. I have changed those settings on my machine. But I'm not sure where. Maybe a "tweaker".

There is a way because I remeber going through the list and checking boxes. In the meantime, though, you can block any program you like from showing up in that list.

6. Castle_Rock

Ok, I'll try the regedits, I've tried the start menu properties with no luck, I use Tuneup Utility as my overall system tweaker/sys performance, but it doesn't provide an option for excluding programs on the menu.

Thanks for the response & regedit.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Be careful of Tuneup. We've had some machines with serious problems from using that. It wipes out registry entries with a module that is supposed to "fix" things. Like all registry cleaners, it "fixes" things by deleting anything it does not understand and by creating large numbers of incorrect registry entries that it then says are "correct" when that is the furthest thing from the truth.

If I find the app I used to exclude programs, I'll let you know. I'm really curious now.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice