1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Prevent CD Autplay in Win Media Player 12

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cwwozniak, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am using Windows Media Player 12 on my desktop running 64 Bit Window 10 Professional. How do I get it not to automatically start playing any audio CD I put in the drive?

If the program is running and I insert a commercially made Audio CD in the optical drive, WMP will then start playing the CD from track #1, which I do not wish to happen. I just want it to wait for me to select what I want to do next with the CD. I have gone through what I thought were all the option settings in WMP and not found anything that looks like an Autoplay or option to select an action upon insertion. I do have it set to automatically go online to get the track data, which it does after it starts playing.

I found a thread where someone was having the same issue with WMP 10 in 2007 and they found a solution with a Registry edit:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-disable-autoplay-in-windows-media-player-10.543466/

Unfortunately, there wasn't a CDAutoPlay key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences inmy registry. I wasn't sure if it would be safe to create such a key on my own.

I have Autoplay turned off in Windows and have "Take no Action" selected for Removable drives. With WMP not running, nothing happens when I insert an audio CD, as expected.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  3. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I was already there as mentioned in my first post; "I have Autoplay turned off in Windows and have "Take no Action" selected for Removable drives." I also have Winamp selected as my music player. My primary reason for using WMP is for occasionally ripping tracks from audio CDs in my rather large collection because it gets artist and title information for each track off the Internet. Winamp lost the function years ago.

If it matters, if I put the disc in first and then start WMP, it does not autoplay but does get all the track titles and artists.

Attached Files:

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    OK, I believe I have my solution. I figured I give the WMP 10 solution linked in my first post. I launched Regedit and went to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences.

I then created a new REG_DWORD named CDAutoPlay and left the value at 0x00000000 (0). I closed Regedit and launched WMP 12. I put in a new disc from my library. WMP was showing the track details after about 5 seconds and then did not start playing the CD until I clicked the play button.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Never used WMP so I was no help with that issue. Sorry.
    I'm strictly a VLC user in Windows, linux and android.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice