1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prevent Guest from editing XP Registry

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TZoner, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TZoner

TZoner Thread Starter

How do I prevent the Guest account from being able to edit the Registry? I'm running XP Pro on a non-networked system.

I don't want to use the DisableRegistryTools key in the Registry, because that would lock me out if I ever wanted to undo the change. I've tried GPEDIT, but that doesn't seem to allow the setting of permissions for one specific user account (unless I'm missing something there). Using the Edit | Permissions menu in the Registry doesn't seem too useful either, as that menu is also accessible to the Guest, who can just re-set permissions if s/he's knowledgeable. (And anyway, the permissions I set in that way from my own administrative logon (Read vs. Full Control) don't get reflected in the Guest logon.)

Short of 3rd party software, how do I do this? Thanks for any help.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

IMHO, that is a rude guest. I have "used" computers in libraries, public rooms, etc etc and never had the urge to enter the Registry. :D Break his/her fingers??
    Seriously, I can't find a way and I know this is Pro, right? There is 3rd party software that will do it, among other things you may or maynot want envoked. I am wondering if TweakUI, or something along that line, which is free will do the job?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice