1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prevent network monitoring

Discussion in 'Networking' started by altera, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. altera

altera Thread Starter

Hi

I live in a shared flat. And all 20 rooms are connected to this switch I believe..

Is there any method to prevent the landlord/tech guy monitoring our internet activity (e.g. bandwidith activity, websites we looked at, etc...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. valis

valis Moderator

welcome to TSG.

not really, no. As they own the pipeline coming in, they can do whatever they wish.

3. Zarnak

Zarnak

You could however access sites through encrypted connection.
    Although that would be up to the sites to offer something like that.

He would still see your bandwidth usage though.

4. altera

altera Thread Starter

Hi Zarnak

Could you advise me on how to access sites through encrpyted connection please?

Does surfing anonymously help limit their monitoring on my internet activity in any ways?

Thanks

5. Zarnak

Zarnak

It is always possible to be monitored to some degree. Even though the information being sent is encrypted they will still be able to see between which 2 points the data is sent.

And no. I cannot advice you on how to do that since my knowledge barely consists of concepts and not actual experience or know-how.
    You will have to find out on your own, which shouldn't be too much of a trouble these days, or from someone else on this forum.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You do realize even with these type of services, your network traffic is still passing through someone else's infrastructure. That means if you contract out for the service you're talking about they will be able to see all your network traffic.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice