1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prevent Win7 from reading CD at startup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by seashell, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seashell

seashell Thread Starter

Is there a way to prevent Win7 from reading my CDROM at startup? Its a bit anoying to hear the drive speed up and I also have the feeling that it delays the startup a bit. I know this might not be a problem if I just removed the CD, but since the Starcraft CD is the only one I use at the moment that doesn't make sense to me.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Sometimes if you remove any discs in the Cd drive then on startup it will be quicker or you can go into bios and maybe set the Hard drive as first boot device Save and Exit

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Whether or not removing the CD will speed up booting depends on why it's reading it. As Megabite said, it could be reading it to see if the CD is bootable. In that case removing either the CD or the 'boot first from CD' option that Megabite recommended will speed up booting. But if it's just reading it so it knows what CD is in the drive (e.g. to show the CD name/details in Explorer) then I doubt if it's affecting the boot time at all. At least it doesn't for me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice