1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prevent Windows 2000 logon at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bignel, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bignel

bignel Thread Starter

Hello,

How do I prevent the Windoow 2000 logon prompt from appearing at startup ?

Thanks.

2. coderitr

coderitr

3. bignel

bignel Thread Starter

I followed those instructions but I receive a Logon Message :

The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your passwrd again.

4. bignel

bignel Thread Starter

This was a PC from my previous employer which was given to me. I changed the Default user name to Nelson in the registry (it was administrator) then I received the Logon Message.

I the tried logging in as administrator and I was able to get in. Any ideas ? Thanks.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I hate it when people suggest registry hacks when they are not needed.

Go into Control Panel > Users & Passwords

Click on the Advanced Tab
    Uncheck: Requires users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon.

Then go back to the Users tab and uncheck:
    Users must enter an username and password to use this computer.

When you apply that setting it will prompt you for what account you want automatically logged on when the computer starts.

Why did you go into the Registry to change the admin password. Why didn't you just make another user named Nelson and put that user in the Administrator group. I dont suggest even using the computer as an admin. I usually setup a user in the Power Users group and use that as my daily account. If I need to do something that requires admin access I just logon as admin, make the change and log back on as my Power User.

You dont need to go into the Registry to change the admin username.
    start > run > gpedit.msc
    Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Rename Administrator Account

Attached Files:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173373

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice