1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Preventing access to AIM web site

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marce, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marce

marce Thread Starter

Please help! I have an xp Home Edition Computer on a wireless network with 3 user accounts. I want to prevent one user (child) from accessing and using one web site. ( AIM.com). I thought of uninstalling AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), but that would not totally resolve the problem. The child can still reconnect to the web and re-download the program again. How can I configure the xp computer to prevent such access and usage of AIM without affecting the privilages from the other users (Adults) to use the same IM? Thank you in advance for your help.

Mike A. :)

2. JPar

JPar

Well, if you have seperate profiles, you can make the child a guest user and only the adults local admins. Then the child can't install anything.

Additionally, you can install XP SP2 and run Windows Firewall to block AIM. As admin, only you would have access to modify the firewall settings.

Just right click on My Computer and go to manage. Then create users in the user folder. Set passwords as you wish and have the child log in as themselves when they want access to the computer. :)

3. marce

marce Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. what are the steps to making the child a guest and granting admin rights to the adults? I never did it before. Please excuse.
    Mike A.

4. moper

moper

Be aware that Aim can use any port on your computer to connect to a server, including Port 80. Also, any one can go to Aim Express and connect from the web.

moper

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Due to the problem mentioned by moper, I've started to have a registry edit run on boot up (and for a few user throughout the day), that removes their AIM ID from the registry. It hassled them enough that they stopped using it. Doing the same for Yahoo as well.

Not a perfect solution but did solve the actual problem.

6. JPar

JPar

Windows firewall can block .exe files, too.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!