1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Preventing data recovery

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Scott189, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott189

Scott189 Thread Starter

Ok, I may be selling my old computer, but I want to make sure that no one will be able to recover the files that get deleted when i reformat my hard drive. Is there a special program or something I can do to prevent people from recovering the files on my hard drive? Thanks in advance.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Example: You'd have to format the old drive; temporarily uninstall the old Hard Disk (HDD), then install the old HDD in another computer, as a second HDD, with the old one jumpered as Slave. Then restart to Windows; Install Eraser, restart the computer; back at desktop Open My Computer; right-click the drive letter for the old drive and choose 'erase unused space'. Choose the default, the more passes over the default (1) pass you choose, the longer it'll take. But the more passes you choose the harder it'll be for a snooper to retrieve your data.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice