1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

preventing downloading

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nancy123, Jan 28, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nancy123

nancy123 Thread Starter

probably a stupid question and not possible, but you guys have also had a solution in the past for my dilemma's.

i have win 95, netscape communicator 4.7.

is there any way to prevent a teenager from downloading onto my computer when he is on the internet.

i don't want to deny him access, i just don't want him to download anything onto my hard drive. (he messed the whole computer up last time!).

thanks for any advise.

2. sickly

sickly

I'm not an expert, but I think the first step would just be telling him that you don't want him downloading things to the hard drive without permission because it can introduce viruses and take up valuable hard disk space.

That probably won't stop the downloading unless you provide another option. Get a zip drive or other high-capacity drive, give him a pile of zip disks, and tell him to download his stuff on those instead of to the hard drive.

Just my opinion. Anyone else have any other ideas?

3. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

There is a setting in Security that prevents downloading of files. Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and select Internet Options. Select the Security Tab and Custom Level. Part way down the Security Level page is a section marked Downloads which has the option of Enable/Disable file downloads.

4. NormanSmiley

NormanSmiley

If he knows what he is doing, he could always change those settings to allow downloads, though.

NormanSmiley's Advice Column
    Use at your own risk!!!
    6 months without the net just for messing up the computer...ouch!!! I dont think I could have taken that kind of punishment. Your number one priority should be to make sure he knows that there is a life away from computers and technology (not as fun [​IMG]). Also, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on him while he is on and to limit the amount of time that he is on. He might not like it, but it is for his own good, and for the good of the computer.

------------------
    NormanSmiley
    My Page
    Get paid to surf the net!

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Those security settings don't stop a download from Netscape. Only IE. I also thought they may so I tried it and it didn't stop Netscape from downloading a file.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 01-28-2000).]

6. Reuel Miller

Reuel Miller

Greetings

I know this is not going to help you now, but if you had Windows NT installed, you could give him his own Account that he could log in with, and using NT's files system (NTFS), you could deny his ability to write to the HD [​IMG]

This would definately stop him from downloading files, and installing them.

What can I say, NT rules!

Cheers

------------------
    Reuel Miller
    Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased :) )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!