1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Preventing ESD's while dusting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blingman, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blingman

blingman Thread Starter

I seriously need to dust the inside of my computer, as well as perform some other routine maintenance. How can I dust the inside of it without causing an electrostatic discharge? Also is there any absolute and positive way to make sure you're grounded without using antistatic equipment? Lots of people say touching your case is enough, but I want to be extra careful because I can’t afford any new equipment should I screw up.

2. imjerry

imjerry

Hey, Just leave the power cord connected and the switch on the back of the power supply on "O" off and dust away with one hand on the Metal part of the Case and the can of Air in the other!! You will be fine!! After you close up the box, remember to turn the Power Switch back on "I"

I clean mine once a month like that!! Never had a problem!!!

3. GripS

GripS

I'm always messing with my computer with cleaning and cable management. Taking the case to an area that is not carpeted(like a bathroom or garage) is a good way to go and touching the case frame(metal) is pretty much all ya need to do at that point.

4. gmanwill

gmanwill

blingman,
    Just pick up an anti-static wrist strap (they're pretty cheap) and clip it to the case, leaves you with both hands free and no worries, remember your comp. is worth a lot more than a $5 strap.

gmanwill

5. blingman

blingman Thread Starter

Well if they're just 5 bucks then I suppose I'll just run down to Comp USA and pick one up before I screw around with stuff. By the way, I'm working on a feux wood table. Is it safe to put parts down on it?

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

As long as its not plastic.

Also use the canned air in short bursts so you don't freeze the board.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/411484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice