1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Preventing IE Downloads

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bumbyter, Apr 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bumbyter

bumbyter Thread Starter

How can I stop IE from managing my downloads? I would much rather use GetRight or Gozilla because they provide a resume function, something that Micro$oft, with its thousands of highly paid programmers, has been unable to duplicate.

2. bryan986

bryan986

The download managers you mentioned both have a option to do that in their programs. GoZilla's is in the 'auto' menu but I don't know where GetRight's is. I prefer GoZilla out of the two.

3. frenat

frenat

Actually, IE can resume an interrupted download. To do so you need to download from the same source that you started with, you can not clear out your browser cache or your downloads will disappear, and I believe you have to keep your history as well. If you start to download whatever file you tried ot download before that was interrupted then IE will resume it. It will not specifically say that it is doing so but the overall time will be decreased depending on how much you downloaded before.

4. bryan986

bryan986

I have had the IE way work for me occasionally.

5. bumbyter

bumbyter Thread Starter

thanks frenat,

I know that IE has the capability but it is certainly not as efficient or elegant as GetRight. I get annoyed that Bill's software assumes that it knows what's best for me and doesn't leave me a choice to use a superior product. So... how can I prevent IE from jumping in and taking over my downloads?

6. bryan986

bryan986

See the second post. Once you have that set up you can right click on the download link and click save target as or just left click on the link to download it with your other program. Just make sure you have the auto integration feature set up in your program.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/43017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice