1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Preventing pasting into Excel from Clipboard

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by diginav, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diginav

diginav Thread Starter

Hello, I need to protect an Excel document from users pasting from outside that document - believe that means the windows clipboard. I need to allow them to cut/copy/paste data within the document. So, is there any way to disable paste only from the clipboard?

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

Well, as there is a difference between the Windows clipboard and the Office clipboard, we do not have programmatic access to control them, afaik. We can open the Windows clipboard, clear it, close it, but just not manipulate the workings of it. You can disable them altogether if you want, but not stipulate if it is from within the application or not. Sorry.

3. diginav

diginav Thread Starter

Thanks, appreciate the quick response. I'm trying to set up an Excel spreadsheet for students and want to make sure they are doing their own work, and prevent them from copying and pasting from other people's work or an existing spreadsheet.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You could disable copy/paste altogether then, if you wanted. Excel is a difficult app to lock down. You can if you want, but for somebody who really wants to bypass your security, will. It's really not that difficult. Do not think of Office applications as 'secure', as they're far from it. We may be able to give you certain suggestions if you detail out to us the exact nature of what you're trying to build though. An option. Good luck!

5. valis

valis Moderator

agree with zach....you can protect the document, but then you run into un-wanted issues with the functionality of the worksheet; eg, I've got a sheet at work that I, and only I, can modify, but the worksheet is password protected, so I've got to enter a password to modify it.

there may be something in gpedit.msc, but I'm on a vista rig at the time, so can't validate that.

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Per this post
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-530285.php
    it would appear that, using gpedit.msc, you can disable the clipboard, but it is an all-or-nothing thing. If you want the clipboard for any other use, you are stuck with it in Excel.
    As far as keeping pasting from within the file but not from without...I have to agree. Probably could disable ALL paste ability, but I 'm not even sure of that.

7. valis

valis Moderator

thanks, slurpee....too lazy to go upstairs to the xp rig, and the only other rig down here is my son's ME, and we all know about ME......:)

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Isn't that akin to child abuse??? :)

9. valis

valis Moderator

actually, I think he's the target audience. :D

10. diginav

diginav Thread Starter

Hi,
    Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. The goal is to prevent students from cheating on their Excel class projects by cutting and pasting someone else's work. I thought if you could just disable pasting from outside of Excel, it might help towards that end. Disabling paste in general doesn't help in this sense because they need to use that for their work...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice