1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

preventing xp downloading

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by man_with_pc, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. man_with_pc

man_with_pc Thread Starter

hi to all of the wonderful experts in here........my question is that

i have a xp and i have alot off friends comeover and use my pc i need a way to make them able to get on the internet and at the same time prevent them form

A. changing settings
    B. downloading everything they can think of
    C. view my documents and files

and thanx alot for ur help :p

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

3. Tarbash

Tarbash

The easiest thing for you to do is create additional users within XP so they can login as their own user ID.

When they login as their user ID, they will be given their own local profile, if they change say the screen color, then it only affects them.

When you log in as your user ID, your settings will stay as you like them.

You can then also secure your files, such that they do not have access to them.

Finally, XP supports a " switch user" interface, if your friend is logged in as say user1, then you can go to the start menu, select switch user, login as your user ID and do whatever you like, your friends programs will continue to run in the background.

To enable fast user switching, go to control panel, user accounts, and select change the way users log on or off.

select use welcome screen.

You can also add a couple of new user ID's for your friends whilst you are here, make sure you dont create them as Administrators

4. man_with_pc

thanx longhair......but this software is just a demo and i have to buy it .......i think better than paying mony would be not letting my friends using the pc.....but i can't do that....so if u have anyting can help ........please let me know......thank u tons

hey tarbash......thanx for ur idea but i don't wanna use the different account thing ........thanx all

5. Akito

Akito

man_with_pc, the user account might be your best option. Set them up with a limited account - I have no idea why this wouldn't work.

6. man_with_pc

akito thanx u for ur efforts........it wont work cuz the internet wont work on the guest account ........i tried that before .......but i guess i ll have to go again with this sloution ..........if u know why the net wont work on the guest account can u tell me please

thanx man

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    You can set up individual profiles for each one of your friends and make them a limited user. Then you can also set permissions on all your sensitive data so they can't access it while they're logged in. Then you not only don't have to worry about them installing anything, but when they try to click on certain folder, they'll get an "Access Denied" message.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would disable the guest account and create a limited user account for them to login under. If you are not able to share the internet connection then you did not specify that the connection can be used by everyone on the PC. Is it dialup or broadband connection.

If it is a broadband connection everyone should be able to use it without specifying that setting.

Attached Files:

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

10. k_rock

k_rock

try logging in as an administrator and goto start > run and type "gpedit.msc" from their u can basically have a full control over ur computer. everthing that u are lookin for, will most probably be their. so u can go their and set ur own ground rulesss
    hope this works for u

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Just a quick note. I cant remember if group policy editor comes with XP home?

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Nope it isn't which is why I don't like to blindly recommend it without knowing first which version they have.

Also it is not all that intuitive to apply and difficult to maintain. Just trying to remember where all the changes are and which ones have been made can be a bit of a pain.

In general I have found that 3rd party program specifically written for restricting access are a lot easier to deal with and don't generally cost that much.

13. man_with_pc

thank u all for ur help u ppl r the best
    i appriciate ur concern ........the seprate user accounts is working just perfect and no more privacy invasion. and those friend can't take over my machine now

:D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/192759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice