1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Previous Windows98 Version Exists

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by LANMaster, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned Thread Starter

Heeeelllllpppp!

I am trying to re-install Windows98 to repair a severely corrupt version.
    The computer belongs to a friend and she doesn't have the Win98 CD. But I have one of my own that I am trying to use. I continually get the error that the CD is for a new installation ONLY and that I need to buy the "upgrade CD".
    I KNOW there's a way to make this one work. I have tried deleting the swap file, deleting IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS, and every other system file that I can find. I still get the error during the setup process.
    What's worse, is that I have messed around with it so much that now it won't start up at all without a boot disk.

So my question is: what files must I delete in order to use this CD for installation.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    :confused:
    Mike

2. danielno8

danielno8

Hi, whats stopping a re-format??

If that isnt an option then delete the file win.com and it should stop it sayin that the installation cant be upgraded from that version of windows.

Daniel

3. LANMaster

Thanks Daniel,
    I don't want a complete format because there is software that I don't want her to lose.

She doesn't understand the importance of saving program disks.
    I will remind her ..... again.

I will let you know if that worked here in about 5 min.

Thanks again,
    Mike

4. LANMaster

Deleting WIN.COM seems to have worked.
    Proceeding with installation

THANK YOU !!!!

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi folks> I believe in doing things quickly, but getting the most for my time- therefore, I use search engines a lot. It is truly amazing what you can find out in about 3 sconds flat, using things like Google.com-----here is the result of typing
    Delete WIN.COM to reinstall
    into a google search bar.

There is enough reinstall tricks and info to keep anyone busy for a long time. This is how easy it is to find what you want, quickly....only problem, you get mixed results, lots of forum results, (not as good as TSG:p ) so you have to read through with an eye out for mistakes. The good sites stand out plainly enough I think. Try these and see for yourself!

Reinstall Info

6. LANMaster

RATS!
    Where did I stick that old book?

Naturally, I need to find the friggin' OEM number.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice