1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Previous XP installation with new motherboard?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by C&C, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C&C

C&C Thread Starter

I'm looking at upgrading a few components in my system, mainly the motheboard, memory (type and amount) and video card. Given that I already have a system with XP installed and it's configured for my current system, will XP boot up after I insert the new components? If not, is there any easy way to reconfigure XP (drivers, PnP detection, etc) with the new components?

In short, I'd prefer NOT to have to reinstall XP but if left with nothing else, then I guess that'll have to happen. :rolleyes:

2. dai

dai

plan on a reinstall,you may get away with a repair but back up what you need before you start

3. Pancake

Pancake

Dai is right.The hard drive needs to recognize the mobo,so look at a reinstall

4. boltfan

boltfan

Thats what i had to do today,

Been upgrading from an old ECS K7S5A mobo that got serious dmg/short or something on it since it actually caught fire ;)

So upgraded 1 machine here with a shuttle mobo, athlon 2500 Barton, which leaves other bottlenecks to deal with later when the $$ for it exists. this upgrade was emergency in nature.

I never tried updating the registry with the info that microsoft has on there support page for different chipsets etc since they also say at the same place this is not a supported method etc and other errors showing up from it can not be guarantied to be avoid or something like that.

5. prospect

prospect

My friend just had his motherboard changed on his hp pavilion 751 n, and didn't have to reinstall his OS. I was at his house when the tech was there to change out the board. The machine was in warranty. I couldn't believe he didn't have to reinstall XP Home.

6. smiffy102

smiffy102

Hi,

I have just changed my MOBO from a Soltek to a Syntax, XP took about 4 reboots to unmuddle itself and I had to reinstall a few drivers after putting on the mobo drivers, but once that was done my install has remained as stable as before.

I have actually changed MOBO twice on this install ( due to inadvertently cooking a couple of boards - don't ask!) and it has recovered each time.

regards

Karen

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice