1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Previously owned tower

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by abstracts, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

I have just been given a tower, previously owned by a friend. Do I need to do any re-registering inside it for it to operate correctly via my own internet connection, for example change her name for mine.

2. Megabite

Megabite

No if you were given a tower with the operating system on it it will be fine

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The Windows user name doesn't have anything to do with your Internet connection.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If that computer still contains all the programs and "debris" and problems from its previous owner, you really should format the hard drive and do a clean reinstall of Windows XP and get a fresh start.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I was going to add what was advised above. When i buy new or used computers and this is optional of course i always register them in my name as the new owner so if theres a recall, etc, i will be notified by email.

6. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

This has Vista in as opposed to XP. I believe it has been cleaned up as far as possible, but I suspect only from the point of taking off their own personal history. What is required to format the hard drive and clean reinstall.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I will move to vista forum

make and exact model of the tower
    whats involved
    putting the windows restore CDs or full version of windows CD into the PC - setting up the bios to boot from the CD first if not already set
    follow the instructions on screen - chances are its an ide harddrive so you will not get issues with sata drivers needed
    then once windows re-installed , you may then need to install the drivers from DELLS website - so make sure you know all the hardware on the PC before you start
    theres quite a few useful videos on youtube on how to re-install windows

so 1st question , do you have the recovery CDs that should have come with the PC

Its also possible the tower has a recovery partition where you can rebuild the PC and a utility to create the recovery DVDS -
    I would make the recovery DVDs first if you can
    also run one of these programs so you know all the hardware on the PC and can downlad any drivers if needed

http://www.belarc.com

SIW - System Information for Windows
    http://www.gtopala.com/

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

8. abstracts

abstracts Thread Starter

The make is an Acer Aspire T180, about 4yrs old. On the strength of what's involved regarding formatting the hard drive etc, and my meagre knowledge of such things, I was wondering if it would be wiser to just clean off the stuff I don't need. Maybe update a few things if needed and add some things.

9. user22

user22 Banned

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice