Previously owned tower

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

abstracts

I have just been given a tower, previously owned by a friend. Do I need to do any re-registering inside it for it to operate correctly via my own internet connection, for example change her name for mine.

No if you were given a tower with the operating system on it it will be fine

DoubleHelix

Banned
The Windows user name doesn't have anything to do with your Internet connection.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If that computer still contains all the programs and "debris" and problems from its previous owner, you really should format the hard drive and do a clean reinstall of Windows XP and get a fresh start.

---------------------------------------------------------

SUEOHIO

SUE
I was going to add what was advised above. When i buy new or used computers and this is optional of course i always register them in my name as the new owner so if theres a recall, etc, i will be notified by email.

abstracts

This has Vista in as opposed to XP. I believe it has been cleaned up as far as possible, but I suspect only from the point of taking off their own personal history. What is required to format the hard drive and clean reinstall.

etaf

Wayne
I will move to vista forum

make and exact model of the tower
whats involved
putting the windows restore CDs or full version of windows CD into the PC - setting up the bios to boot from the CD first if not already set
follow the instructions on screen - chances are its an ide harddrive so you will not get issues with sata drivers needed
then once windows re-installed , you may then need to install the drivers from DELLS website - so make sure you know all the hardware on the PC before you start
theres quite a few useful videos on youtube on how to re-install windows

so 1st question , do you have the recovery CDs that should have come with the PC

Its also possible the tower has a recovery partition where you can rebuild the PC and a utility to create the recovery DVDS -
I would make the recovery DVDs first if you can
also run one of these programs so you know all the hardware on the PC and can downlad any drivers if needed

http://www.belarc.com

SIW - System Information for Windows
http://www.gtopala.com/

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

abstracts

The make is an Acer Aspire T180, about 4yrs old. On the strength of what's involved regarding formatting the hard drive etc, and my meagre knowledge of such things, I was wondering if it would be wiser to just clean off the stuff I don't need. Maybe update a few things if needed and add some things.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online