1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Previously RAID Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VincentXP, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VincentXP

VincentXP Thread Starter

So I had a RAID thing on my computer where the two 80Gbs hard drives would show up as one 160Gb hard drive in "My Computer". Recently, however, my sister flooded my computer with some virus that tried to access the internet and send e-mails to god knows who. I backed up all the data I needed in DVDs and an external drive and formatted (after three days of trying to root out the damn thing).

Ok, so. I formatted and deleted all partitions. Since I need my computer for my university work and needed it operational very quickly, not being able to find the "SCSI or RAID controllers", I just went ahead and turned off the "Configure SATA as RAID" thing on the BIOS and installed XP as I normally would before I had the RAID thing. It doesn't detect the second drive, I just have the 80Gb primary drive on "My computer".

Before I had the RAID thing both hard drives showed up on "My computer".. how do I get it to do that again?

Hope someone who reads my plight can answer it so I can get my computer working fully again. And thank you. :p

P.S: As an added bonus to the drive thing, it also deleted all the system controllers so I have no working network card or USB drivers. Video and Audio seem to be fine, the network card controller I guess I have to get off the net (which I am doing now) and I'll get the USB controllers from the ASUS website.. right? (Someone confirm that I'm not messing everything up with this.. My primary issue is the non-RAID thing, so..)

2. uk_john

uk_john

You need to get motherboard drivers and RAID drivers form the official motherboard site for your motherboard. These RAID drivers should demand you create a bootable floppy. What you then do is create that floppy and then get ready to put that floppy in the drive. At bootup use your OS CD and boot from it. Note along the bottom of the screen immediately on CD boot that it asks you to hit F6 for RAID drivers. Quickly hit F6. Now, prior to the XP Repair/Install screen coming up, you will get a window that complains about not finding a RAID file. Insert the floppy and choose 'S' from the first paragraph. The floppy will be accessed and you will be asked which drivers you want to install. it is usually the first choice that has XP within the filename. The floppy will be accessed again and the CD will continue to boot to the Repair/Install screen. Remove the floppy and exit from the OS Repair/Install, letting your PC boot as normal. Now install the motherboard drivers (usually VIA drivers) and it should offer to update the SATA/PATA drives along with other options. Install these motherboard drivers and reboot.

Now go into your hardware manager and hopefully you should see your two SATA drives, with SATA controllers, etc.

Hope this helps!

3. VincentXP

VincentXP Thread Starter

I ended up going a different way that saved me a lot of trouble.. As it appears, my previous RAID thingie was completely software-built.. so basically, all I had to do was re-initialize the secondary drive and then create a NTFS partition in order to access it via Right-clicking on my computer -> manage -> manage drives (or hard drives or something).. Thank you anyway for the help, I'm sure others who see this thread will probably have to do it your way, specially if the drives were hardware-wise rigged to RAID behaviour.

4. uk_john

uk_john

VincentXP - Am just glad you solved your problem and glad it was easy. It would good you told everybody what you did, as far too many posters will just say 'solved my problem, thanks' and you will never know what solved their problem! This way, they have my route for hardware and your route for software - so we both helped!:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice