1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"pri master hard disk: s.m.a.r.t. cmd failed" error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maracles, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Hi,

"pri master hard disk: s.m.a.r.t. command failed
    Press f1 to continue"

I get the above error when I turn on my computer, but when I load windows after pressing f1 everything seems to be fine, do I need to worry about this? It started occuring after I installed my q6600 cpu last night.

2. gurutech

gurutech

If your drive or PC is still under warranty, I would have the drive replaced. The SMART diagnostics are used to tell you if the drive is running outside of the specs designed by the manufacturer. If the drive goes outside the specs, then there is usually a 72-hour timeframe before the drive fails completely.

But with the error you are getting, it sounds like it's an error with the SMART diags themselves - which should be replaced anyway.

3. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,

I did do some research and what you said sounds like the usual reason. However I did realise that I also had a memory stick connected to the computer at start-up, could this be the reason for the failure? As I said the computer appears to be working perfectly now.

If I do need to replace the drive what is the easiest way to do it, it is the drive my operating system is on and I can't afford to reinstall the os and install everything again unless it is absolutely necessary.

I use the pc for work and thus only have a time period from between 06.00 in the evning and 09.00 in the morning to replace any drive and get the pc ready to work again.

4. gurutech

gurutech

Easiest way is to contact the manufacturer website of the drive (maxtor, western digital, etc...) and plug in the serial # of the drive to determine warranty status, and you can initiate an RMA return from there. Most of the time they will send you the replacement drive first, then you have a certain amount of days to return the old one or they charge your credit card. This will give you enough time to do a "Ghost" or True-Image of your old drive to the new one, so everything will be exactly the same on the new drive (except for the error message, or course!)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/639921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice