1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pri Master HDD Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leinad, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leinad

Leinad Thread Starter

ive been changing around computers lately so my win 98 has had a bit of a hard time physicaly, when i now boot up my 2nd cd drive spins like mad (it hasnt worked for yrs now) and when it stops it makes a few beeps and displays this msg under the american megatrends logo

Pri Master HDD Error
    Run Setup

it only boots up to the Packard Bell screen (the first one) and thats it, then when the cd drive stops spinning it goes into the error msg.

please help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go into BIOS setup and choose a default configuration. There should be a message at the bottom of your screen on boot about what key to press.

This occurs too early to have anything to do with the operating system or the contents of the drive.

3. Leinad

Leinad Thread Starter

hi, thx for your help again Evandil, could you tell me how to get into bios setup?
    no button i press seems to have any effect on the computer at all

4. norton850

norton850

Try F1 or F2 right after the Packard Bell splash screen.

5. Leinad

Leinad Thread Starter

okay, i can now get into bios setup, but i cant see default configuration, there is something down the bottom called setup defaults and with F5 next to it, could this be what im mean to press?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's a good one to try. Press F5 and then press whatever key it tells you is for Exit. You will probably be asked again to confirm saving the changes.

7. Leinad

Leinad Thread Starter

hm i did it, it then reset and now it wants me to insert a boot diskette, should i have one? because i dont think i do or its got lost

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. Sometimes, though most of the default settings may be as we want them, one or two may not be. It looks like your default settings have your floppy as a boot device earlier than your hard drive (or it is set to boot from floppy only).

Look around in BIOS setup for a setting for boot order. Try to set it so that it looks for bootable devices on the hard drive, then the floppy, then the CD-ROM. But at least try to get the hard drive up higher on the list. The rest don't matter so much at the moment.

9. Leinad

Leinad Thread Starter

i found the boot order but there is not HDD on the list
    ide 0 is the closest i could get and it didnt work

10. Leinad

Leinad Thread Starter

after all that i now know that the power cable to the hard drive has disconected.. thank you for all your help, i cant get my retarded case off to fix it myself do i'll take it to the shop and get it done there, thanks again

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, IDE0 is the hard drive. Glad you found the problem. Thanks for posting back.

12. norton850

norton850

Unless there's a see through side cover, if the case cover won't come off how would you know that a power connector is off?

13. Leinad

Leinad Thread Starter

its the most likely answer

Pri Master ide = not installed

after my compter had a bit of rough treatment ie. moving around (i droped from 15 cms high ounce) it didplayed that msg in main in bios, so i asume thats the problem and ive ruled out nearly everything else so thats probably the problem. I cant get the case off to see for myself so i'll have to take it into the shop and assume that the cable has come off, thanks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice