1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Price to build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Danboy, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Does anyone know the average price a mom and pop computer place charges to build a computer? Trying to decide weather to build or buy.

Danboy

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can do it yourself for less :)

3. max 8

max 8

Depends on what components you want. It'll will cost you anywhere from $500 to over $1k. Like ACA Candy suggested, build one yourself for less money and better components.

I just built another pc for my son over the weekend that cost me less than $400 and used quality parts such as:
    AMD XP2100 Thoroughbred B processor
    ASUS A7V333 kt333 mobo
    256mb PC3000 Corsair RAM
    MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 Vid card
    40GB WD 7200RPM HD
    and a X-Alien Full tower case w/ 400W PSU, side window and 6 fans. To name a few parts.

4. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Hi AcaCandy, yes I know that its cheaper for me to build it, but I was wondering if the savings were worth the time and more importantly the lack of warranty. Just trying to weigh the facts.

5. max 8

max 8

Almost all the major parts you'll be using will carry their own manufacturer's warranty.

The savings will be worth it if you are buying form a mom and pop store.

6. n2gun

n2gun

I agree it is better to build your own. Not just for the money but the experience. It makes it a lot easier to troubleshoot if you know what you have and how it is installed.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I recently had to choose between the two, build or get someone a Dell. For the speed of getting it done and the warranty, and the price, it was a bit more expensive, he went with the Dell and is a happy camper. It depends on your comfort level :)

8. zeddy

zeddy

If you are going to buy prebuilt be aware of the proprietary nature of some of the components that may be used and the usual cost cutting that some pre-builds use (integrated video/ sound), some motherboards that are not easily bios flashable, PSUs that are wired differently etc.

9. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Yes zeddy I understand that after reading some of the threads in this forum. That is one reason I am leaning toward building my own.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "Does anyone know the average price a mom and pop computer place charges to build a computer? Trying to decide weather to build or buy." - It depends what you get, it can be a couple hundred or a couple thousand depending on the parts and specs of the system.

Of course it'll be cheaper to build your own unless you buy from a big company which can cut costs down, in which case you may be getting some low end hardware. Building your own is actually quite easy if you sit down and do a little research before buying the parts and then reading all the instructions before assembling it.

if you need a simple workstation then almost nothing beats a DELL, if want something more then a simple workstation, then custom or self-built is the way to go.

11. griffinspc

griffinspc

Allow another view. I recently built this machine (see specs below) and with very careful buying, sales and best local price, I was able to do it for $609.00 though I had the DVD and backup hard drive in another machine. The parts acquisition took me about 6 weeks.

I'm not a gamer so I wanted a steady and decent vid card, hence the 9200 model. I always buy locally or even within a hundred mile radius. I was able to get the bare CPU/mobo on a one weekend sale for $59.00 for instance. Bare means no heatsink or fan and not assembled.

I don't buy off the internet because 1) I checked and my prices were as good as anything on the proven safe websites, new egg, etc., and 2) as someone above mentioned you can take a failed item back under warranty and for me local means quickly with no shipping and waiting as I did with one of my ram sticks to CompuCare.

I mention all this because I ended up with exactly what I wanted and was able to afford and me, a six pack, some lively rock and coffee for the late night, had a good time putting it all together.

Conversely, these days, you can go down to a chain like Fry's on the West Coast and pick up a pretty impressive machine for $500 to $1000 on sales.

I prefer buying from an outlet like that for people who ask my opinion or help choosing a PC because you don't have the problem of all the added software Dell and rest oblige you to take with their sale items or the shipping return problems.

12. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Thats what I am talking about, take my time, catch things that I know I would like to have in my computer on sale and purchase when the time is right, and have a good time ( I Hope ) building it.

13. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Just remember that over-the-phone component manufacturer tech support is only for the parts they make, NOT the total system warranty. In other words, none of the manufacturers is going to take any responsibiliy for anything except their part and normally blame someone else for the stuff not working. NO-ONE takes any responsibility if it might even "appear" to be a MS problem. Stay away from Win XP HOME. Go with the Pro version and cut down on your headache chances. DON'T tell the manufacturer that YOU built the system unless they have you in a choke hold. Make sure ALL the components you buy are RETAIL (not OEM or Bulk), so you get all the brackets, screws, cds, floppies, manual, cables and the long warranty(usually 3 years, some longer. OEM and/or Bulk go from 15 days to 1 year usually). Don't take over 1-11/2 months to get everything you need or some of it will be outdated or much cheaper, especially right now when all the 64-bit stuff is coming out and the prices are dropping fairly fast on most components and the new video card releases aren't too far away therefore causing price drops to be coming on the current cards.

14. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Thats what I was thinking, hold off on the processor, motherboard and video card. Make them my last three purchases.
    Also read somewhere not to buy anything that is not at least 6 months old. Something about time to work the bugs out and time for the price to drop.

15. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Yea, don't jump on the first version release of any component because there are usually some unresolved bugs still present that can cause problems until a patch is made. Usually once it is available to everyone, then it is okay. When you only find very few online vendors with the product in stock, then it's too soon. The price won't drop until the popularity of the mobo starts fading somewhat. A good mobo almost always runs $145.00+ when new and usually for a couple of months after that. The "new" 64 bit stuff IS expensive and the early release/version components out now are going to be outdated by newer technology rather soon compared to the old (current 32bit used now) that took so long to change.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209639

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice