1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pricing proposals

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marsh714, Jun 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marsh714

marsh714 Thread Starter

I have a client that is in need of some upgrades with the current system that they are working with. This client has recently discovered a virus that has created some problems with his programs. His current environment consists of 4 personal computers with internet capabilities on 2 pc's, 1 scanner, 1 laser jet printer, 1 cadjet 2 plotter, and 1 hub for networking, windows 98, and microsoft office 97. I will provide for this client a backup tape unit for offsite storage. Anti-virus software for all computers, personal firewall for small business, windows 2000 for all pc's, and microsoft office 2000 for all pc's internet capabilities for all pc's. When providing this type of service for a client, what would you charge a client and how do you arrive at a fair price for your client. As you can tell I am fairly new at providing services for clients and if I do a decent job for this client it could lead to other opportunities for me.

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

How long is a piece of string?

You should be thinking in terms of % markup on the hardware and software that you are supplying, and as its a lot you can afford to take less % than if it was just a couple of items.

On labour you need to set your hourly rate, then either go with that and give an estimate of the time to the client, (always over-estimate so that when it takes less time the client is happy) or work it out and give a fixed price to the client for a set number of works/jobs.

Make it clear that the set price is for the works specified, and if they add anything else its extra on top at your hourly rate. Otherwise you can come a cropper, as I have never been to a client site yet where they haven't said "Oh, while you are here, can you just...." which will really upset things on a fixed price contract.

Hope that gives you food for thought.

3. marsh714

marsh714 Thread Starter

yes it definitely gave me some things to think about. I have already submitted a proposal to this client which he has accepted. I felt like I gave him a very fair price. Of course like you said he wanted to add a few things to it, which I accepted. This client is an architect and says that he has input into who designs and builds the network for the buildings that he designs. He says that if we(my brother and I) do a good job with his network that he would steer all future business our way. This might be a good thing. Thanks for the input. I am still open to any suggestions from anyone else also, thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/83235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice