1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Primary Drive 1 not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lymponus, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lymponus

lymponus Thread Starter

I took a look at a friend's son's computer tonight. It's a Dell, about three years old. When booting up, it goes real slow then comes up with the message (approx from memory) "Primary Drive 1 not found, Secondary Drive 2 not found, press f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup."

Pressing f1 causes the computer to boot into Windows (XP Pro).

I'm thinking the HD is having some problems, tried finding what brand it was using Belarc Adviser, only lists it as a 40 Gb drive. Dell's site also only lists it as a 40 Gb drive. Took a chance and downloaded Maxtor's HD diagnostics tool (my old Dell had a Maxtor) but evidently it's not a Maxtor.

Any ideas guys on what the problem might be? Know of any software that can tell me what brand it is? The case was open, but of course Dell mounted the HD with the top cover against the front of the case.

Lymponus

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the disk was dud, it would not boot into Windows.

I suspect the message refers to the secondary IDE bus, (probably optical CD/DVD drives) more than the HDD.

If it could not find the primary (Drive 0) it would simply not boot.

3. lymponus

lymponus Thread Starter

Thanks kiwiguy

I noticed that neither of the two CD/DVD drives showed up in My Computer or the Device Manager. So I disconnected the IDE cable to both and rebooted the computer. Now the message is "Primary Drive 1 not found, Secondary Drive 0 not found, Secondary Drive 1 not found, press f1 to continue or f2 to enter setup." Everything is set to auto detect in the BIOS.

I also noticed that his system clock was set wrong. The owner said that whether he resets it in Windows or BIOS, it always reverts back to what it originally said ('bout an hour behind current time).

Any ideas? Think maybe it could be a motherboard problem?

Lymponus

4. lymponus

lymponus Thread Starter

Could a dying CMOS battery cause this?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Yes, it has all the classic symptoms of a dead CMOS battery. Could be a real cheap fix.

Drive 0 Primary is the boot drive, it finds that OK.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

7. lymponus

lymponus Thread Starter

Ok changed the battery, seems to have helped the problem with the clock. Didn't solve the problem with the drives. Turned the primary second drive off (only has one HD on the porimary IDE cable), and the secondary second off, computer booted as it should. Computer had a DVD burner and a DVD player on the second IDE, turns out the DVD player is bad (substituted a CD-ROM drive in it's place and computer booted fine).

Not sure if I actually fixed the problem, or if I've just put a "bandage" on it.

Lymponus

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You could be onto it. If the bad DVD player was placing a short circuit or otherwise interfering with the IDE bus (e.g.failed buffers in the bad drive) then its able to do what you were experiencing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice