1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"primary hard disk 0 drive not found"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 737chris, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 737chris

737chris Thread Starter

My home CPU was working fine yesterday morning. I left in on and started watching TV. About an hour and a half later the power blink on and off. We though nothing of it. a few hours later my wife attempted to use the CPU and found a blue screen with white txt on it. I look at it but could not read the message because the left margin was cut off. I didn't write it down either. I do remember the message stating that I should restart the CPU and if the problem was still there I should contact someone for help. I turned the CPU off and when I turned it back on the CPU made sounds we have never heard before. Beep, Beep, pause, Click. The beeps occured in a rapid succesion, then a pause, then a click. Theses noises repeat themself constantly as a white bar fills itself running from left to right at the bottom of a black screen. On that same screen the CPU showed Dell's insignia on it with the words "F2 = Setup F12 = Boot Menu" at the top. Then it goes to another black screen with white text showing the error message:

"Primary hard disk 0 drive not found
    Strike F1 Key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

We have windows XP on the CPU. It is a Dell Computer.

We have family photos, and personal information saved on this CPU and most is not backed up. Can you please help.

2. 737chris

737chris Thread Starter

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

The beeps signify hardware problems. If clicking was hard drive then you can prepare the funeral, most likely. You can try removing hard drive and attaching it to another computer to see if you can get any data off, but the way you describe it, it sounds catastrophic. Your best option to recover data is to give it to a data recovery service and pull out your wallet. Sorry 'bout that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!