Primary IDE Master

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zyphonic

Does it make a difference if a cdrom or a hard disk is installed as the primary IDE master? Is it better if a cdrom or hard disk is installed there???

Generally the primary master ide is used for the boot drive, there are case where this is not true as in booting from scsi, but in general.

Zyphonic

Generally but necessarily?? Is it a problem if cdrom is primary and hard drive is secondary?

crjdriver

If your hd are connected to a controller card like a promise or highpoint raid; or if they are sata, then you can put optical drives on ide1. My system here has a dvd burner as master on ide1; I do have hd connected to a raid card however.

If you are asking CAN you do it, yes. If you are asking if you SHOULD do it, no. Put the boot ide drive on ide1 as master; put any other hd on ide1 as a slave device. Put optical drives on ide2.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Most new BIOS versions support booting from any of the IDE devices, but I agree with CRJ, I'd put it on the primary master. I don't see any point in doing otherwise.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online