1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Primary Master Disk - Enabled/Disabled

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cinders, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Hello,

Can anyone tell me, please - On boot up, what does S.M.A.R.T
    mean when it shows Primary Master Disk S.M.A.R.T Enabled or Disabled.

I have just noticed that on my pc, when booting up, it is now showing disabled instead of enabled.

It only changed from enabled yesterday. Everything still boots up ok, but I thought I should check it out.

Can anyone please enlighten me and, if necessary, offer any advice.

Thank you

Cinders.

2. brianF

brianF

smart is a option with some hard disks that monitors the condition of the drive and warns if a failure is imminent

check the hard drive manufacturer's web site for more info

3. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you Brian,

I have found out that it means Self Monitoring Alert and Retrieval Technology.

What I cannot understand is how it was switched from 'Enabled' to 'Disabled' on bootup as I have not done this.

Does it need to be 'Enabled' and if it does, how do I do that?

I have noticed at the bottom of that bootup screen is an option to 'Press CTRL + R to enter Recovery Genius'.

When I looked into that There was a screen asking me if I wanted to install the 'Recovery Genius' from:-

GoldenSoft - www.gotogs.com

I went to the site and it was apparently a utility for public computers. I do not know how this has got into my bootup system, unless it is somehow supported by Windows.

I have not installed this as I really wanted to find out why this had happened.

I am not at all clever when it comes to entering the 'innards' of the pc.

I do run AdAware 6.0.181 and Spybot S&D 1.2

Advice on what to do now would be very much appreciated.

Cinders

4. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Considering my earlier post, does anyone know if it would it be appropriate to do a Scan Reg/Restore that I have often seen advised, on this forum, or is this not an instance where this would help?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Cinders

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Cinders, just go into the bios setup (it looks like it may have been re-set as defaults) find the setting for enable SMART and change it to ENABLED. Save changes while exiting.

6. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thanks AcaCandy,

How do I do that. Am I likely to mess anything up?

Sorry to be a pain

Cinders

7. ~Candy~

When the computer is restarting, there is a key to press to access the bios setup. Usually it's either DEL, F 1 or F 2. Unless you have a Compaq, then F 10. Once there just look around, you'll see it. Nothing will mess up except your new message upon startup will be SMART ENABLED, which is good ;)

8. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank yo so much. Will now try it

Cinders

9. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you very much.

I have done that.

Easier than I thought.

Should I have disabled Recovery Genius that I saw in there as well or just leave it.

There was also an entry re - Anti virus disabled - should I have enabled that. I do have NAV running.

Windows 98SE.

Regards

Cinders.

10. ~Candy~

Leave the anti virus in the bios disabled, that causes more problems than anything.

I don't know what Recovery Genius is, but if everything is running fine, leave well enough alone ;)

11. Cinders

Cinders Thread Starter

Thank you

Cinders

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice