1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Primary Master Hard Disk Fail (Maxtor 40GB)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oh_so_fly, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oh_so_fly

oh_so_fly Thread Starter

I have a Maxtor 40GB HD as my primary drive and a WD 160GB as my secondary. I was using my computer a few hours ago just fine and all of a sudden it locked up on me with the computer led light blinking like crazy (motherboard is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe). After waiting a few moments, i decided to shut the pc off. After turning it back on, i get the message Primary Master Hard Disk Fail. Both drives are IDE and i also have an NEC dvd-rw and an LG dvd drive connected. The NEC and LG drives were detected just fine, as was the WD HD. The Maxtor was detected as: Maxtor N40P NAR6159Z.
    After doing some searching on this, I found out that the drive may not necessarily be dead (thankfully--because all i need from it are a few important documents). However, I'm not the brightest when it comes to configuring things in the BIOS or using a bunch of recovery tools. Can anyone please help me??

I also have this link if it helps: http://www.dataclinic.co.uk/bios-co...r-hard-disk.htm

2. oh_so_fly

oh_so_fly Thread Starter

After more hours of research, i've read many mention that the firmware could be corrupt and that it may work to somehow reconfigure the firmware. Anyone know how to do that? I tried Seatools but I don't see an option to fix the firmware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice