1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

primary master hard disk fail...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by k602, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k602

k602 Thread Starter

guys i have a maxtor 3.5 series 40G hard disk and when i turned on my computer it says primary hard disk fail. if i click F1 to continue it says disk boot failure what should i do guys need your help i have important ducoments in this hard disk.. thanks guys... my computer is a windows xp 2003 version with a 128ram with a pentium 4 processor 1.2G.. thanks guys

2. needafix

needafix

At boot up try to access DOS and then try to run scan disk or check disk function.

When I had that notice on my Maxtor it was dead, mass cluster damage.

3. k602

k602 Thread Starter

how do i run the scan disk in dos???
    can you give me the correct procedure for the above said???? thanks

4. needafix

needafix

It's been so long since I had to do that I don't know but it'as a valid procedure.

If you can access DOS mode I think it is scndsk or scandisk or checkdisk or chkdsk

5. needafix

needafix

It is CHKDSK

Attached Files:

6. k602

k602 Thread Starter

thanks i will tell you what happens when i go back to my computer... and lastly how do i access DOS is it with a floppy disk???

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

DOS will be of little use to you. It can't ordinarily see NTFS partitions.

Boot from your installation CD and choose "R" for "Repair" when prompted. Choose the Windows installation to log on to (usually "1"), enter your Administrator password (or try a blank if you haven't set one), and type:

chkdsk /p

at the prompt. You can specify the drive letter if you choose:

chkdsk C: /p

To see what drive letters the Recovery Console has assigned to your drives, type:

map

You can also check your drive with one of these bootable media:

Bootable NTFS Check Floppy Image
    Bootable NTFS Check CD Image

But chances are that the disk is failing and the more you use it, the greater the chance of losing your data.

The best idea is to get a new hard drive, install it as master in your machine, install Windows to it, and then install your old drive as a secondary and attempt to recover your data from it.

If your data is important to you, it is a small price to pay for a new drive, even if the old drive lives.

You can run some tests on the drive with these PCCheck media:

Floppy boot
    CD boot

But again, the more you use the drive, the greater the chance of data loss. Even running the tests increases the risk. I'd get the new drive.

8. treborbob

treborbob

You can also go to the maxtor site

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...aa439628cf433f226075b46068?channelpath=/en_us

and they have a hard drive utility you can download to check the integrity of the drive.
    Simply select your model number from the list and then look for the utility download.

If the drive is failing it will give you a code to enable a return request for the drive. If still under maxtors 3 year warranty they will issue a replacement, then you send them the old drive back.

I have personally used this service and had no trouble whatso-ever.

9. k602

k602 Thread Starter

guys i tried making the failed disk into a slave but i cant enter the said disk can you guys hjelp me how to open all the files.. i dont know what to type in the BIOS.. thanks

10. k602

k602 Thread Starter

even during the booting up it says slave disk failure..

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the disk is shot. You have probably lost the files. You may want to look at a professional recovery service if the files are valuable to you, but that could run in the $1000's, or at least $100's.

12. k602

k602 Thread Starter

so what should i do i dont have that kind of money how do i get all those important files and here the professionals are intermediate in computers... what should i do??? i dont know if i put the correct input in the CMOS or BIOS?? please i really need those data inside the disk.. its for my company.. i really need help...

13. primetime212

primetime212

google "disk freezing method"..if you are really desperate

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could try the "disk freeze". Does the drive make any noise, show any sign of life? There is absolutely no recovery operation that you can perform until the BIOS accepts and recognizes the drive.

You may have seen frequent reminders to back up all your important files. This is the reason. Hardware fails. There are some losses that cannot be undone, or at least not cheaply or easily.

Be sure that the BIOS is set to autodetect that drive so that it uses detected parameters. Try the freeze, and hope for the best.

15. k602

k602 Thread Starter

thehard disk makes a buzing sound..... where or how do i use the freeze disk???? thanks...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/398823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice