1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Primary or Active Partition ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leachim, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

I have been messing around with installing and cloning Win 7 and it won't completely boot

I have noticed that there are 2 partitions

100MB System Reserved - Healthy Active Primary
    984 Gb - Healthy Primary

Shouldn't the bigger partition be Active ?

The 100MB partition has a Drive Letter

Should I change the larger partition to Active - although I did do this earlier - won't boot so tried a Startup Repair - mentioned something about "Should be C Drive" - Changing on next reboot.... It booted but acted strange - couldn't find restore points etc

The bigger partition should be D:

Can I change the small partition to non active ??

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nope, that's correct except for that partition having a drive letter - it shouldn't have a drive letter.

How are you cloning it? And are you booting the cloned drive in the same system or a different system?

3. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

Thanks

Doing this for a client.

Recent instal of Wins 7 Ultimate gets to blue welcome screen and flashes black every 10 secs. Mouse works.

Went through a whole load of ideas yesterday inc Repair. Took out drive and cloned it to a 2TB disk via a cloning caddy. This is when I noticed about the Active and Non Active partitions when it was plugged in via USB

It is on the same system.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, but what software did you use to clone it?

5. leachim

leachim Thread Starter

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you used it successfully before? Does it do it automatically or does it run a software interface to do the cloning/duplication?

I've never use one of those, I simply use a single dock with the choice of my software, usually Acronis TrueImage, to clone drives. You can also boot from a CD and use something like the GParted CD or Acronis or the manufacturer's free software to clone a drive right in the clients computer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice