1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

prime x399-a does not boot anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hp81, Dec 8, 2019.

1. hp81

hp81 Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    While I'm working with my computer, it has been turned off and does not boot anymore.(no blue screens or a warning)
    only when I turn it on, the CPU fans only half a second turned and then nothing happens only that MB lights are on and MB fan seems to turn very fast but I can not even go in bios !
    on MB screen I have Q-code 8
    The GPU fans runnig as well when I turn it on!

Asus Prime x399-A
    AMD Ryzen 2950X
    Aorus 2080 TI

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  2. FusionTecg

FusionTecg

I dont know too much about hardware issues like these, I will say before I say anything else.

You forgot to mention your RAM or hard drive/ssd size by the way.

Im assuming it is a desktop based off of what specs you provided, maybe the power supply cable is loose? Or not attached right? Or some other wire/cable? Maybe a possible hardware failure? Maybe just unplug it and plug it back in?

Do you have any other hardware you can test? Like another motherboard, graphics card, cpu, or RAM?

Do you have a POST error code from the BIOS? I think it is the computer beeping a certain amount of times or specific tones on startup, correct me if im wrong.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I looked at the Q-code and it is really not much help. You also have some LEDs on the board that show a problem with different parts. This is on page 1-11 of your manual. Do the LEDs show anything?

You have not included the most important part; the exact pw supply you are using. Do not post "500W" Post the exact brand and model#

Do some basic troubleshooting;
    1 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives. If you have M.2 drive, pull that out
    2 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave just the keyboard connected to a rear [not front case] port
    3 If you have any add-in cards ie raid card, sound card, etc, pull those out. Leave your video card installed however do reseat the card and be sure it is fully seated in the slot. Note there is a release or latch that must be depressed to pull the card. Do not just yank it out
    4 Pull out all ram and blow the slots out with a can of air. Install one ram chip in whatever slot your mb manual says to populate with a single chip. Again be sure it is fully seated
    5 Reseat both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the board. While doing this, give the connectors a VERY close inspection with a bright light. See if you find any burn marks or arcing
    6 Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC with the clear jumper. Note some asus boards have a clear cmos button on the IO plate. That will work also

Now attempt to pw ON and see if the motherboard will complete POST. If it does, shutdown and start connection devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST in the above config, you will need to swap parts with known good units; it motherboard, ram, pw supply, etc.

lynx1021 likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice