1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print from laptop through desktop PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tomiboi, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomiboi

tomiboi Thread Starter

I have a laser printer that's connected to a desktop running Win 7. The printer is set to SHARE. I got a laptop that I want to print from through the desktop. Is this possible? The printer is not wireless and I don't have a print server. I have wireless network running on my Linksys router, but the desktop and the printer are not on it.

I have the desktop and laptop on the same WORKGROUP, but when I try to add the printer on the laptop by selecting a NETWORKED PRINTER option, I get an error.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

What are the two flavors of Win7? If they are both 32-bit or both 64-bit, should be no problem. I take it the desktop is hard-wired into the Linksys so they are on the same network? How about other network locations between the two like the Public folders? What are your settings in advanced sharing settings, and what exactly is the error?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    While I am not Windows 7 ssavvy (yet) but try this: Go to Computer then Network on the left. Your computer with the printer should be listed, if so double click on that and if the printer is shared correctly, it should show there. If it does double click on that and the printer should be added to your printer section.

If it's not listed then your computers are not talking to each other.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice