1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print Jobs remain in queue although already printed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by scooby_steve, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi All,

I dont know if i've got this in the right forum but i've got a WinXP Pro Machine so thought i'd try it here.

The problem is that my print queue seems to retain the print jobs although the print jobs have already been printed out (i've seen it retain jobs from 5 days ago). I happens from all sorts of programs.

My PC is acting a print server (ie, the printer is connected to my PC via Parallel and i have shared my install of this printer).

In the print queue, the status indicates "sent to printer" and Pages "x/x - eg 3/3" however the print jobs remains in the queue and do not disappear unless i manually do a "cancel". If i were to turn off and then on the PC, all these print jobs will print out again without any user interaction.

So, can anyone tell me if this is a driver issue or is it something to do with the printer or Parallel port configuration.

As far as i know, i've got "bi-directional support" selected but i'm still to find out what modes i've got parallel set to eg. EPP or ECP or both.

Any help would be great. thank you.

regards
    Steve

2. Sponsor

3. bedderz

bedderz

Steve,

Try restarting the "Spooler" service

Goto START | RUN
    Type the following

net stop "print spooler"
    Click Run

goto START | RUN again
    type

net start "print spooler"

This will restart the Print Spooler Service. May not solve your problem but its a good starting point.

Thanks
    Mike Bedford
    MCP

4. scooby_steve

Hi,

I havent tried that, but i have a very good feeling that will solve the problem.

However, it seems to do it on several occasions (intermittently) when i know it shouldnt be so really, i dont want it to happen at all.

I've changed the parallel settings in the BIOS to ECP+EPP with Bi-Directional support turned on. I've also deleted the drivers (via a print driver utility which removes all files and registry entries relating to the printer) and re-installed them.So i will post up the answer when or if the problems re-occurs.

By the way, i did forget to mention that the printer is only 1 wk old (pretty much brand new).

So anymore suggestions in the mean time will be much appreciated. thanks again

5. scooby_steve

Hi All,

Did a little more research and i noticed that there is a "keep printed documents" option under the Advanced tab of the printer properties. I can tell you that this option was NOT selected on the PC connected to printer however i am not sure if it is on other workstations connecting to this share. Normally, the "advanced" tab is greyed out (when connected to a share) however because all other workstations log in with the same username/password as the PC connected to the printer, the "Advanced" tab is not greyed out (adminstrator rights i believe).

However, saying that above, i've had the scenario where a windows test print will stay in the queue even though printed successfully and have another windows test print (printed from the same machine) print out successfully and then clear itself from the queue however with the first windows test print still sitting in the queue.

This "keep printed documents" option could be the cause.... will let everyone know the outcome.

6. Lely64

Lely64

Just wanted to say that I too am having this problem and haven't figured out how to resolve it. I tried the suggestions on this site but continue to get the "sent to printer" message in my print queue. I have 8 printers and this is only happening on one printer, an hp laserjet 1200???

7. scooby_steve

Hi,

I cant remember what i did now.... i think i did just turn off the setting i mentioned above but i think this option was selected on one of the pc's pointing to the share, not the driver on the PC that was sharing.

I wish i could help you more but it's been a while.

8. Lely64

Lely64

I tried a couple of the suggestions mentioned with no change. I finally uninstalled the print
    drivers on the server and deleted the queue and then reinstalled the printer
    and created a new queue. For some reason that made the problem go away???
    All is well.

9. Lonely_Stranger

Lonely_Stranger

try to make the following steps:
    1- start - settings - printers and faxes
    2- right click the chosen printer, click properties
    3- click port tab and diselect "Enable bidirectional Support" option, click OK
    bye and wish u luck:):):)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!