1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print Server mystery

Discussion in 'Networking' started by waves, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. waves

waves Thread Starter

I'm a graphic artist and recently purchased a Hawking print server to house my 3 printers. I had a professional tech hook everything up ... he printed a couple of test pages, then a few text pages ... all 3 printers worked and he left. Later when I tried printing my higher resolution graphics ... not one of the 3 printers would work ... they just give me error messages. I tried plain text again ... and it works. Is there some kind of setting for high resolution work?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Could it be the printers don't have enough memory to handle your large resolution pictures?

I know where I used to work we had some with only 4 megs memory that did word docs fine but when you went to large graphics they printed out jibberish. When we went to 32 megs internal in them they printed out fine.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is the error message?

Did printing the higher resolution graphics ever work?

What is the printer?

4. waves

waves Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thank you for all your help!

My printers have been doing high res graphics for me all along. It was when I connected them to the print server the problem started. It would only print text.

I called Hawking with the problem today and they said anything high resolution will overflow the buffer. Now I'm stuck with a worthless product! Shouldn't it have been listed on their website under stats that it couldn't handle high resolution printing?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since it does not meet your requirements, can you return it to whoever sold it to you?

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Either that or ebay the item recoup most of your cost and buy a better print server. I would ensure it has a large memory capacity for a big buffer.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Although it might not be as convienent as a print server, can you connect the printer to a computer that is the one most likely to be on all the time. The print over the network through that computer.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also just checked their web site.

If you can't returnt it or sell it on e-bay, at least it doesn't look like you are out a ton of money. Most items I looked at were under $70. Probably only recover 1/2 that on e-bay anyway.

Hopefuly the network solution will work. If you do decide to go that way, on the networked printers, configure it to print directly to the printer. No need to spool twice.

9. waves

waves Thread Starter

Thanks Bob ... I'm going to go with your network solution. In fact I called a large print lab earlier and they suggested the same thing.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

waves,

Glad that will work for you. Nothing like a free solution.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!