1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print Server on Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Erik-S, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Erik-S

Erik-S Thread Starter

I have three Windows XP computers on my home network, with two printers connected to the network by a Belkin wireless print server. My router is a Netgear WGT624 (v4). I believe the Belkin print server is no longer supported; I can't even find it anymore on the Belkin site.

I would like to upgrade two of our computers to Windows 7 (my wife's laptop isn't powerful enough and will have to stay with XP). But in order to do that I need to be able to print on at least one (preferably both) of my printers from the other machines when my main machine is turned off, as I can do now in XP with the Belkin print server.

Ideally I would like to use my current Belkin print server and my question is whether there's a way for me to use it on Win7. There's a post on the Netgear site that looks intriguing about how to manually add a print server under Windows, here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47/kw/printer/r_id/100109

Does anyone know if this or a similar procedure can work under Win7? I'm not afraid to get under the hood, but I need a reasonable expectation that one way or another I will be able to print :)

Alternatively, are there other print servers that would work? Are there routers that can accept connections to USB printers, and maybe even make an external USB hard drive available to all the machines on the network?

Thanks for any thoughts or solutions.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Would help if you could tell us the model number of the printer server.

As long as the printer server still functions you should still be able to use it to print from any OS!

3. Erik-S

Erik-S Thread Starter

It's working all right, so that's definitely good news. It's the Belkin Wireless Print Server Model F1UP0001. I think the XP installation software may not work on 7, so I'll print out those instructions from the Netgear site.

Thanks for your help.

4. Erik-S

Erik-S Thread Starter

OK. I've now installed 32-bit Win7 Professional on my computer. I did a clean install because I had to in order to upgrade from WinXP and also because I think clean OS installs are a good idea. I've been trying unsuccessfully to configure my Belkin Wireless Print Server model F1UP0001. It's actually connected to my PC with an Ethernet cable rather than wirelessly. It connects two USB printers. My router is a Netgear WGT624 v4.

I first installed both printers directly to my computer and they both print properly when connected directly.

I've created TCP/IP ports for both printers with the IP address I found is being used for the print server by another one of our computers: 192.168.1.6; I configured the ports as LPR. I've tried specifying the printer (an HP DeskJet 842c) as L2 or LP2. I also have an Epson Stylus Photo R220 which I have tried configuring on the print server as L1 or LP1. I also tried switching them, the HP as L1 or LP1 and the Epson as L2 or LP2. Nothing.

How can I get this thing to work? Thanks in advance for anything anyone can do.

5. Erik-S

Erik-S Thread Starter

Well never mind <sheesh>.

Simple. I wish I didn't try to be so smart all the time. I finally tried running the installation disk for the print server under Windows XP which I *assumed* would not work under Win7. Well, it did work, and it set up the printers properly. Oh well.

6. cktong

cktong

Erik-S

I am having the same problem..when i installed using the XP installation disk.. i get an error message... but the installation completes..
    However, I cannot get the test print to work.. it seems to have stuck in thin air..
    help

ckt

7. Erik-S

Erik-S Thread Starter

What is the error message?

8. cktong

cktong

Erik-S

the Errormessage is: AddMonitor () failed. Error = 1805

9. Erik-S

Erik-S Thread Starter

I don't know. I never got any error messages and my disk set things up perfectly on Windows 7. Someone else here may know more than I do. Otherwise, you might try going to Control Panel, Devices and Printers, right click on your printer and choose Printer Properties, go to the Ports tab and remove the printer's port. Reboot, then (assuming the printer driver has already been installed with a direct connection to your computer) try installing with the Belkin disk again.

Good luck!

10. Erik-S

Erik-S Thread Starter

You should also disable any antivirus, antispyware, or software firewalls before running the Belking setup disk. Just in case.

11. cktong

cktong

tried it already..gets the same error message every time..
    thx anyway
    ckt

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!