1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print Server prints garbage!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by calabash, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calabash

calabash Thread Starter

I am so sc#$%ed!
    I installed a linksys 2port (4 lan ports) print server (EFSP42) on our network. I printed a test page. All okay.
    So today I'm working in the lab and happen to need to print a web page... No Way! All I get is garbage with an image or two thrown in.
    All other apps print fine.
    I have less than 24 hours to resolve this. Any assistence will be greatly appreciated.
    Browser: IE 6 SP1
    Printer: HP Laserjet 6p (current driver)

2. calabash

calabash Thread Starter

Update: The cable was the culprit.

But before you roll your eyes, this is the same cable that connected the printer to a PC and printed just _fine_ thank you, for the entire network.

Two calls to Linksys later, the Tech decided to try the 2nd port on the print server. But I already had an injet hooked into it and said so. He said, well, let's try to print to it. Bingo. I rang off with him (so as to save $$) and switched the problem printer to the 2nd port. The problem, as you know, persisted.

I am nothing but thourough however and so switched the cables. It printed like a charm. The "bad" cable was a 3M cable too. Much better than the "no-name" cable that I pulled out of the closet to get them both working. I guess I'll never know why that cable wouldn't work with the print server. The ones that are working now _should_ be bi-directional cables as well. Allthough if any one can tell me the pin out for a bi-directional cable, I do have a cable tester box that will map the pins for me. Bi-directional vs. Uni-directional is the only thing I can think is the difference between the two. They are about the same length. The one that works "appears" (it's fatter) to have better sheilding, but the cables are not in a noisy area.

If anyone has a clue, I'd still like to know _why_ it works.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice