1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print Server Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Speakersrock, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Speakersrock

Speakersrock Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have a printer server, for which I have lost all setup cds, and manuals for.
    A few weeks ago, I manadged to get it working on my computer, for one printer.

I then had to stop working on that for a while whilst I went away, and sorted other more pressing matters. Now I am back to the print server, and connot remeber what I do to set it up.

I guess there must be some standard kind-of way to set it up in wndows, otherwise would not have done the first printer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
    I am running Windows XP home SP2

Any help is much appreciated :D

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You should be able to download the software necessary from the manufacturer of the print server.

3. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

You should be able to create a standard tcp/ip port in windows just point it to the ip address of the print server. Windows may not see the server, but create the port anyway. Install the printer driver and point it to the port that you created, and everything should work okay. I find this is a more reliable way of setting up a print server than using the included software.

4. Speakersrock

AcaCandy - Hi again!, told you It would'nt be long before I was back! -- I have got some software called BiAdmin, But this merely manages it, no setup or anything. And this is the only thing I could find. =(

ineedhelp890 - Thanks for this, I do remember doing this now. Can I ask, on the printer port wizard, and on the Additional Port Information Required' screen

what device type do I select. I don't see mine in the list?

Many thanks

5. ineedhelp890

ineedhelp890

On the additional port information required screen, leave it on what comes up by default, "generic network card", or something along those lines and it should work. This is how I've always setup my print servers.

6. Speakersrock

hummm....Not woring so far!.......any ideas?

7. Speakersrock

just a thought...the print server is quite old...so u think it would have compatibitly issues with my Epson Stylus Photo 900 (The pinter i am trying to connect it to?)?

many thanks

8. Speakersrock

ok..right...I plucked up he courage to delete the one working printer, and try again to see if what you sugested actually did work. - It does!

I really Don't understand! The print which worked to start with, which I just told you about works fine, using the setup ineedhelp890 kindly told me of.

However my other printer on the same print server does not work. It just sits there when you print to it, and then eventually message pops up saying 'Document failed to print'.

However, I went to the print server's web based management, and succsessfully printed test pages on both printers!???

Des this make any sense to anyone, and can any one please help! getting a lil'desperate!!

Thanks in advance.

9. ~Candy~

Is it an all in one? And yes, some printers WILL NOT work with print servers.

10. Speakersrock

No, It is not all In one.
    Hummmm Prehaps it just doesn't work with it, but how come I can print a test page to it using the print server config page lol? - I just can see how that theory can make sense?!

11. Speakersrock

Just I thought to mention - Its a 3 port Parallel print server - does that make any difference to what you guys have been kindly saying?

12. Speakersrock

ok, right. I have progressed further forward with this....

I have now found that the problem printer is compatiable with the print server. The problem is, I have insalled the printer with the device type as gentetic network card. It is a 3-port print server, so using the genetic network card setting means that it only connects with the first port on the printer server.

I had a look through the device list, and could not find anything for a 3-port server. Can anyone tell me how I can put this right?

Many thanks.

13. ~Candy~

Have you tried to google the name brand/model of the print server for a user's manual?

14. Speakersrock

Yes. It was made my Chase Research, which changed into perle I think. Now theres not much out there for it :S

15. Speakersrock

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice