1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

print server vs network ready printer?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by moejoe, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moejoe

moejoe Thread Starter

Just joined this site 4 minutes ago, so forgive me if I'm asking the same question that has been raised a gazillion times before. I've looked at a relevant thread, but it didn't quite answer my question.. Here's my situation, for anyone who might offer advice.
    We have two laptops with wireless cards, a pc with a wireless compact USB adaptor, an old but working HP Photosmart printer (USB cable), and a Linksys wireless-G router with Speedbooster connection to the internet for the whole shabang. I want to buy a four-in-one printer (looking at the cheap option of a refurbished Brother 5440CN flatbed) mostly to have scanner and fax capabilities, and would love to be able to put it wherever, and have all the various computers print from that machine, without cables and the hassle of toting machines here and there. That particular four-in-one is "network ready" - but I'm realizing that I'm not entirely clear what that means. . Is the "network ready" printer ready to do what I need it to do - can I (somehow - via software?) get it configured on my network so that it will respond to each of the computers? OR do I also need to buy a print server, and if so, what kind? And if so, wired or wireless, and what does it matter? And which models support the best security (WPA)? Thanks for considering this.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Network ready usually means a wired network,so the printer would need to be
    close to a computer or the router to be able to connect the cable.
    A wireless print server would eliminate the need to have it that close.
    A wep capable wireless server would offer decent security.

3. moejoe

moejoe Thread Starter

So can I connect the printer to the existing wireless-g router via ethernet (or USB?) cable?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Network ready could include wireless, but usually means just ethernet. It connects directly to a LAN port on the router, and all its functions can then be used independently by any computer connected (wired or wireless) to the same router. This is the best way to go unless you cannot locate the multifunction printer near the router.

If you are talking about http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...-Fax-Copy/2507078/product.html?cid=25608&fp=F it connects via ethernet to the router (or by USB to a computer).

5. moejoe

moejoe Thread Starter

Thank you. Interesting. Yes it is that machine, but I found it elsewhere and very cheap(refurbished). So if I locate the router near the multifunction printer and connect via LAN port, it sounds like I'll be all set.

6. jmwills

jmwills

Whatever you do, upgrade that WEP to WPA.

7. moejoe

moejoe Thread Starter

Your comment is well-taken. I do want to make sure the whole network is the most secure it can be, and I understand that WPA is then better. So if my router is WPA, then if the multifunction printer is wired to it, does that suffice? Or do I have to do something else to "upgrade" the printer to that level of protection... and if so, what?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sorry, I have to disagree. WEP offers minimal security, and is easily defeated in minutes with tools readily available on the Internet.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the printer is wired, it doesn't have any security considerations. If you're configured for WPA with a strong and random key, you are quite secure. I suggest NOT using WEP, which is not a good choice.

10. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Sorry,got my wep/wpa mixed up.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice