1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print Sharing - Ungodly slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Akito, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Basically this is my problem:

I have a Windows XP Pro machine with a Canon MP390 printer hooked up to it.

I've been trying to get sharing to work properly, but I can't seem to do it.

Printing locally isn't an issue.

When I connect to the printer from another machine over the lan, it can take upwards of 2-3 minutes to connect.

When just print to the printer over the lan, it goes right away.

When I open the properties dialog, it takes 2-3 minutes.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling on both machines, no go.

The slowness can be felt on 2 other machines.

Any ideas?

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

So the slowess is only going to the properties or to do the intial install but not any slowness when just doing a print?

Have you tried unsharing and resharing your printer with a new name? Maybe something has occured with the printer share?

3. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Yeah - exactly.

I've tried uninstalling everything, doing a registry clean (on both machines) and re-installing with new drivers.

The slowness happens on 2 machines, but not on the host machine.

4. ale1981

ale1981

Are the operating systems the same on all 3 machines?

5. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Eyup, Windows XP PRO

guess I could try hooking the printer up to another machine, and see if I have the same problem sharing from it.

6. fast586

fast586

Aikito

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're sharing the printer off a local machine and making it available to others or yourself over the network? If that is the case, how much hard drive space do you have left on the machine that is sharing the printer? I ask this because, when there is a print job in que,the job is spooled to the hard drive of the machine that is doing the sharing. If there is insufficient hard drive space, your printing will be ungodly slow or won't work at all.

Are you using a hub or switch or router to share the machines?

If you're using an older 10 meg hub, try swapping it out for a switch. Switches are much more intelligent and provde much better network performance. SMC makes a nice little 10/100 switch which costs almost nothing and works great. An older 10 meg hub could be causing some issues. If you already have everything connected via switch, router or both, then my suggestion is mute.

Outside of that, you might try using an external print server like the HP Jet Direct 175x. This print server connects to your printer's USB port but also has the required Ethernet port. This takes the load off the machine that is trying to print. If you have DHCP enabled on your router, the HP Jet Direct print server will extract one of those IP addresses for its own use. You use the Jet Direct Configuration utility and check the IP address. Then, you add the printer to each machine by creating a standard TCP/IP port by using the add printer wizard. You click on "Local Printer Attached to this Computer" but go down to where it says "Creat a new port" and select the radio button. Then scroll until you see "Standard TCP/IP Port". Add that and type in the IP address of the print server. You'll see it mirrored on the bottom field as you type. Then you just choose from the list, which printer you're trying to add. If the drivers aren't there, you will of course have to point to the CD or wherever they are located. This is the fastest way to print over a network.

fast586

7. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

don't have the slowness when the printer is connected to the other machine.

8. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

fast: I have something like 55 gigs free.

I use a netgear prosafe vpn firewall/router with 8 port switch and also a linksys 8 port workgroup switch.

I wouldn't mind an external print server, but this is a multifunction.. has other things like scanner that I need.

9. fast586

fast586

I'm not sure I understand your two sentences above. They seem to contradict each other. If the printer is shared, it's on the LAN. Is it not your default printer? Or do you not have it selected as one of your network printers by default? Can you clarify please? I'm just trying to understand how you have the printer configured.

fast586

10. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

I screwed up that second sentance.

What I'm trying to say is - Connecting to the printer and bringing up the properties page takes upwards of 2-3 minutes. However, actually printing the page is almost instantanious. For example, if I don't need to bring up the properties page, I can just print with no wait time. However, most of the time I need to bring up the properties page (so I can change it from color to b/w).

11. dghundt

dghundt

I have found printer sharing slower (sometimes much slower) in general in our office and have purchased cheap wired network print servers. This takes care of the problem for about $40 after rebates.

12. fast586

fast586

Thanks for the clarification Akito.

In that case, it may be a function of the printer driver itself, that is causing the slow entry to printer properties. It may also be a program scanning in the background, making sure the operation you're performing is not virus related. What antivirus are you running?...or better yet, try disabling your antivirus software and try accessing printer properties again. It might sound a bit lame but I've had antivirus programs (Norton, being the biggest offender) do some pretty strange things. It's worth a try anyway.

fast586

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice