Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

print spooler service

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  hallshive01 
#1 ·
Hi
After running a registry cleaner service. I have been unable to print. I get need to add printer. When I try to reinstall printer. I get print spooler service is not running. I first tried restarting printer spooler and I get error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start.
I tried the following that was suggested by a friend.
Navigate to the %windir%\inf folder (it's a hidden directory, so by default you won't see it in explorer, either turn on "show hidden files" or use the command line) and delete ntprint.pnf, printupg.pnf, infcache.1 and any oemXXXX.pnf (XXXX being a sequential number). Delete only the .pnf, not the .inf - the .pnf is the cached version of the .inf and will be regenerated if it doesn't exist. This didn't help.
Upon taking a long look at the print spooler I learned that it is dependent on LexBce Server. When I try to start it I get error 2 system can not find file. A C search results in a couple dll files for lexbce but now server that I could identify. Does any one have any suggestions.
Thanks
James

#4 ·
The printer spooler service can run on its own (no dependencies).

Open Control Panel >> Administration Tools >> Services

Scroll down to "Printer Spooler", double-click to view the service properties. Make sure it is set to "Automatic" startup, then click on "Start" to start the service (that is, if it isn't already running).

#6 ·
Another system cleaned to death. :rolleyes: I second the recommendation, in spite of the glowing reports of how safe they are, problems after "cleaning" the registry are a very common occurrence.

#7 ·
Hi guys and gals
No I don't have a system restore. That feature hasn't worked in months. Prot3st I have already tried restarting the print spooler several times. Windows thinks the print spooler needs LexBce Server to operate and whom am I to argue.
Thanks
James

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.