Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Print Spooler Won't Start (Error 1053)

23K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Colovet 
#1 ·
I've searched everywhere and I can find nothing that actually helps.

The problem: The print spooler won't start when my computer comes on or when I try to start it from the services window. I get an error 1053 which says it didn't respond in a "timely fashion."

Steps I have taken (none worked):

1. I reset my computer.
2. I opened Run and did "sfc /scannow" which scanned but nothing seemed to happen.
3. I booted from my XP Installation CD and chose to repair windows (it had recognized that it was damaged). The repair was successful and fixed a few of my other problems but no print spooler.
4. I made sure lexbces worked and ran properly (even thought it wasn't listed as a dependent).
5. I removed all traces of lexbces.
6. I made sure RPC was working.
7. I ran the Microsoft Fixit program for the printer spooler. On light mode it processed but changed nothing. On full mode it "failed to process."

None of these helped at all. The spooler still will not start and I get the exact same error. I can't install my printer and I can't even frigging SCAN (all I actually want to do, I never print) Because photoshop won't make a TWAIN for my printer and when I select WIA Support it says that no WIA devices are connected.

See less See more
#5 ·
I just realized the reason there are no print drivers displayed is because the service is not starting, duh. There is a Microsoft support article about how to delete installed printers in the registry, I'm almost positive you are going to have to go that route. I had to do that when I had a corrupt HP driver.

#6 ·
Ok. Make sure you can view hidden files and folder. Navigate to c:\windows\system32\spool\printers
If anything is there delete it.
k.

Also I forgot to mention that I couldn't do file>Server because the spooler wasn't running.

. . .

Okay I didn't have too. Nothing was there. In fact even in the drivers folder I have NOTHING except the SRGB driver.

This one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102116 ?

I'll try it.

EDIT: That's an NT support page. Anyway I did already do the Microsoft Fixit which is supposed to do that. Can't find the article for XP though . . .

#10 ·
Did you try extracting spoolsv.exe from the Windows CD? Perhaps it is corrupt and the repair install didn't replace it.
I put my CD into my CD Drive (D:) and opened run and did this:

expand D:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ %windir%\system32\spoolsv.exe

Here's some extra info:

In trying to fix this I installed my recommended updates from windows. I hadn't done it in over 2 years so there were hundreds. After installing them my computer was worse off. The shell was all screwed up. I couldn't drag or drop, windows minimized to nowhere and pages like System Restore and Search Assistant were blank. None of the obvious and recommended fixes for those problems worked either.
HOWEVER, The print spooler (spoolsv.exe) was running in the task manager.

That's when booted from my XP CD and repaired windows. After the repair I got back most of my functions but the spooler stopped working.

#16 ·
I've removed and reinstalled 3 times now. It runs for a while and then I get the error message Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Service Pack 3 has been installed awhile.

I send the report to MS (which I believe really sands for Massive Crap (other word not printable). What good does this do???

Why does the system keep screwing up? I swear my next computer will be a Mac.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.