1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Print to File, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jVirus, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

I was somewhat under the impression that the "print to file" option would send a document or an image or a web page to a file instead of printing it. Course I guess I have no understanding of what I am saying. What is it for? I would have loved to turn a web page that I had into a file to be accessed later (a form not an exact url). So any help on what this is about and maybe how I would change a web page into a file other than printing it and scanning it?

2. Miz

Miz

To save a web page, in Internet Explorer, go to File>Save As, pick a place to save it, rename it if you like and it's saved.

Before clicking on the Save button, you can take a look at the "Save As Type" dropdown list, perhaps save the same page using all the different file types to see which you like the best.

3. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

ok great thanks

4. Miz

Miz

You're quite welcome.

I realize I didn't answer your "print to file" question. That's because I have only a vague idea of what "print to file" means. I figured helping you save the web pages would be good enough until somebody comes along who can explain "print to file." ;)

5. putasolution

putasolution

The print to file option is used when you want to be able to print to a file and send it to your printer at a later time. This option is also handy when you want to print on a printer owned by someone who might not have the same program the document was originally created on.

Files with a *.prn extensions are created when you select the print to file option under various programs

6. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

ahh. ok that sounds cool. ever us that feature?

7. putasolution

putasolution

Hardly ever, I'm afraid, because anything I want to print is either a txt, jpg, doc or xls file and virtually every pc in the world has something that can cope with them.
    It is handy if you have something created on a Mac and you want to print on PC

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/207240