Print to PDF without losing data such as links in Word 2016

muhammadhussaini

Hi there guys.

I was working on an important document. I created it in MS Word 2016. I put some hyperlinks in the document. I used the Print to PDF feature and found that hyperlinks didn't work. Please help me. I am not looking forward to download any paid softwares for the said purpose.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Also it would help to tell use what program you used to make the pdf?

plodr

Liz
I assumed that the OP used "print to pdf" in Word 2016.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
On my Office 365, there is no Print to pdf, but a Export to pdf.

The print normally does not appear until one has a pdf printer installed, which is a different issue.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I can confirm that MS-Word does have a "Save as PDF" feature and any hyperlinks in the Word document get preserved in the PDF file.

Attachments

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes, you are both correct as there is a "Save As" and a "Export" to pdf.
BUT, there is NO "Print" to pdf unless a pdf print driver has been installed.

The OP stated that he used "Print to PDF"?
Now he may be using a much older version of Word.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
BUT, there is NO "Print" to pdf unless a pdf print driver has been installed.
FWiW, Windows 10 Pro (Don't know about other versions) does include
"Microsoft Print to PDF" as an available printer without the need to install any extra drivers. I have used it through Firefox a few times when wanting to capture web pages but never paid attention to how hyperlinks were handled.

I just tried that with an MS-Word 2016 file that had two hyperlinks and the generated PDF had working hyperlinks. I don't know why it did not work for the OP, unless they have an older version of Windows and are using some free Print to PDF add-on that may not keep working hyperlinks.

Attachments

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
But, it is a PDF print driver, that some machines will not display.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am not sure if it's available with Adobe Reader DC (Free) as I have Adobe Acrobat DC, but there is a Save to Adobe PDF option, which I believe will serve the same purpose, and includes hyperlinks: (screenshot is Microsoft Word 2016)

1597287438960.png

I have seen Print to PDF elsewhere, but with Office, I have only seen the Microsoft Print to PDF as mentioned before with Windows 10.

Save As option has PDF option as well. The difference between the two is that Save As Adobe PDF opened Adobe Acrobat where as using the Save As option opens the default app for PDFs (which on this temp computer is Edge). Both had hyperlinks.

1597287940011.png

So many ways to make PDFs... I wish they would just leave it to Adobe... haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online