1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printed Documents From The Network Stick In The Queue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shooter7, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shooter7

Shooter7 Thread Starter

Hi all,

This should be an easy one, but I've been banging my head against it for a week. I'm hoping I've just been looking at it to closely and someone can take a look from a different perspective, smack me on the back of head, call me an idiot, and point to the obvious solution.

I'm trying to fix a home network. It consists of one desktop computer, two laptops, and a printer. The desktop is attached to the router by a cable, and has the printer, which is shared, and the laptops are wireless. Everybody is running Windows XP Pro, and this is Lexmark Z45 inkjet.

The problem is with printing. It worked until about a week ago, but now when the laptops send a job to the printer, it just sticks in the queue with the status of printing. The desktop can print, so it doesn’t seem to be the printer. The laptops can see the printer, they can connect to the printer, they can send jobs into the queue, but then they just sit there.

I’ve reinstalled the printer on the desktop and the laptops, I’ve downloaded new drivers, I’ve restarted the services, I’ve attached to the share using the computer name as well as just its IP address, I’ve made administrator accounts on the desktop using the same username and password as the laptops use, I’ve made a separate printer account on the desktop and connected using that, and they’re in the same workgroup.

I’m working on the assumption that has something to do with share permissions, so if anyone has any suggestions I can try, or different approaches to consider, I would be grateful for any ideas.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Which services did you stop and restart?

3. Shooter7

Shooter7 Thread Starter

I've been using this script I picked up, which has always fixed queue and spooler issues.

@echo off
    echo.
    echo Purging the print queue . . .
    net stop Spooler
    echo Deleting all print jobs . . .
    ping localhost -n 4 > nul
    del /q %SystemRoot%\system32\spool\printers\*.*
    net start Spooler
    echo Done!
    ping localhost

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669596