1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printed size of web documents

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tlfmd, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tlfmd

tlfmd Thread Starter

Other than dogging the print preview, and struggling with the size in any pertinent image editing software, has anyone found a reliable way to limit or control the size of a printed web document?
    to wit:
    I scanned an odd shaped document, 3x8" to email to myself at another site, and the printed form was big enough for two pages. What a waste.
    I print receipts regularly and they, 99% of the time have a "trailer" on a last page that has stuff like web site address or URL, a Secure Website emblem, or other, clearly unnecessary printing. My introduction to Windows word processing (WordPerfect) had, and I still use, a "makeitfit" command. Invoking such a command AUTOMATICALLY when printing from the web seems like a simple, brainless way to conserve paper...it'll give me a fractional font (e.g. 11.9 vs. a 12) and would prevent the idiotic tendency of a printed page to only have the leftward 80%, l which leaves off the important stuff like the prices...(you gotta print landscape to avoid this)
    And I thought a computer was to make life easier, boy was I ever misled)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The problem is that web pages are usually coded to make them look good on screen, and that tends to make them "unfriendly" when printing.

Web pages designed for printing do exist, and it works well in those (few) cases.

Cutting and pasting into a word processor is sometimes the only workable solution.

3. tlfmd

tlfmd Thread Starter

You see, I was looking for an automated way to have the dumb computer fix the problem for me, instead of mucking around...
    It seems someone with a mind to programming could market a fixit program..
    shouldn't be too many lines..nor very expensive..
    I used to program, but not since the era of windows

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307088