1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Printer Access Over Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by djsubsonik, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djsubsonik

djsubsonik Thread Starter

Hi there, I have an HP LaserJet 1020 hooked up to a WD NetCenter Drive/Print Server. I set it up so I can access it through the LAN behind the router. I was wondering if there is any special thing I have to do to be able to set it up to use from the Internet (ie - from work)

Thanks in advance for the help!:)

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Just a quick overview. Not sure how the WD NetCenter Drive/Print Server attaches on the network but I would asusme if it uses one of these print types its taking that port and forwarding it to the print server.

http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/lp/printservers.htm

there are a number of ways that you can set it up depending on the print server itself.

3. djsubsonik

djsubsonik Thread Starter

I searched the manual and found no mention of a port number, which I was expecting. I'm on the phone with WD right now and it seems like I know more about networking than they do because they told me they don't know.

I'll have to fiddle around with itwhen i get home.. im at work right now.

Thanks

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

NP if they can supply you ports or even a communication method you should be able to figure out ports from there another thought is possibly start a print job and do a netstat command to see what ports open up and then use that port in your routers NAT setup to forward from your WAN to your print server.

I..E. I have a printer on a jetdirect.

If I open up a command prompt and do a netstat (before printing at all). Then if I run a print job and to the printer on the jetdirect. next I run another netstat command you will notice some ports opened up and the IP of the print server. Those ports (everything after the :) are what you would want to port forward on the router.

Now you may have some problems as internet printing can have its problems. You may find large reports and dropouts may cause issues. This is just a forwarning that some internet solutions have had problems with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice