1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer cartridge education

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oneoldman, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

I have an Epson C62...inexpensive printer but works very well for us...ran out of black ink and tried refilling cartridge with a dollar bottle of printer ink..all went well...got it filled and re taped. Now, message tells me that I'm out of ink.

I need educating before I go ahead with new purchase of ink or cartridges, or non Epson product.

TEll me what the "chip" is doing on the factory cartridge.
    How does non epson product subvert this factory cartridge if a "chip" is involved with it's operation?
    What is it that occured between last use of black ink cartridge, and the refilling of same when it ceased to work?
    How worthwhile are the hundreds replacement products being advertised on internet sites, auctions, etc.?

Perfect quality prints is not my abjective..I use printer for black and white draft documents only....what's your best advice.\?

Thanks

Oneoldman

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

It would appear from my research that the printer manufacturer's do not want you to be able to refill these cartridges. This is how they make money by almost giving the printers away. The chips that they are beginning to put into the cartridges have an expiration date. It appears some are able to be refilled until they pass the 'estimated' expiration date that has been preset on them.

I was in a Walmart recently where one of the 'disposable' printers were on sale for $39.99 and that included the black and color cartridge........both together selling for more than the printer price......almost better to buy the printer for the cartridges and throw the printer away..........sad, but true :(

3. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

Thanks.. I was getting the same impression about cost of the printers and the relative costs of inks.

If I had to do it again I would not have bought the color printer from Epson...or any other for that matter.

I found a guy locally who says he can sell me Epson cartridges for 5 bucks for black and 9 dollars for color...I'll give him a chance to rpove it one time....if it works, the printer becomes worthwhile..if not, I'll junk it even tho it's a month old

Thanks again

4. slipe

slipe

Epson printers calculate the ink used and store the ink level in the chip in the cartridge. It does that so that it is still right if you swap cartridges around – say to use a full cartridge for a large job and then put the partly filled cartridge back in to finish it.

Epson, HP and Lexmark cartridges have a chip that does that. Epson is different in that the printer will not print once the cartridge shows empty. With HP and Lexmark you just don’t have a good ink level estimation after you refill, but they still print. Some of the commercial HPs will stop printing after an expiration date and I’ve heard rumors of some of the newest HP consumer level printers working like the Epsons.

In any case you can get empty Epson cartridges with a deprogrammer. After you pry the chip off the Epson cart and deprogram it you put it on the replacement cartridge where it can be easily removed for deprogramming. Some replacement cartridges come with an aftermarket chip, but they are a lot more expensive than the old unchipped aftermarket cartridges. If the aftermarket chip shows full all the time you could refill the cartridge.

Canons don’t have a chip and actually measure the ink. So when you refill them they show the correct ink level (usually). I think the upshot is that Epson is the wrong printer to buy if you plan to refill. I’ve been refilling my HPs for years and it is hassle free except that I don’t have an accurate ink level. I now refill my Canon S9000 and it even shows the correct ink level.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice