1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

printer cartridge recognition problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marcia07, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marcia07

Marcia07 Thread Starter

I have a Canon PIXMA MP500. I have refilled my own cartridges for months and have not experienced any problem. Recently my printer will not print and gives message "two cartridges or same color". Not true. Now and then I hold down the "stop/reset" button for 5 seconds and it goes on to print. I am getting this message almost every time I try to print. Is there an override code or procedure I can use that will allow my ink cartridges to be recognized? I need help bad. Thanks for your ideas.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I know very little about this; but, I have done a Google search for the word string you put in quotes. I don't find anything with that word string in quotes an with Canon added outside the quotes.

Is that the exact word string?

3. Marcia07

Marcia07 Thread Starter

Hi Alex, The exact words on the printer were "More than one ink tank of the following color is installed. Cyan (8) Use only one ink tank per color at a time". I did put the proper ink color in the tank. Thanks for your help. Marcia

4. Marcia07

Marcia07 Thread Starter

Hi Alex, The exact words on the printer were "More than one ink tank of the following color is installed. Cyan (8) Use only one ink tank per color at a time". I did put the proper ink color in the tank. Thanks for your help. Marcia

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I did a Google search for "More than one ink tank of the following color", with quotes. It brings up many pages. I don't have time for an examination of these pages to figure out the problem so you might want to try the search, yourself, and see if there is anything that helps.

6. Marcia07

Marcia07 Thread Starter

Dear Alex, most distinguished member, I am 67 and new to this forum but very dependent on my computer. I'll try to search it. Can you send me a link you think is promising? Marcia

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

no time now.

gotta' go on svc call.

later tonight.

I'm 60

8. Flags

Flags

9. SB305

SB305

I don't know if you have spare, empty tanks but, if so, is there any chance that you might have refilled one tank with a different colour from that which it had originally held?
    I would guess that the printer identifies which colour tank is loaded from the characteristics of the tank itself and not from the actual colour of the ink inside.
    I downloaded the manual (it turned out to be a program!) and it offers no other explanation than that a wrong tank has been loaded.
    Do all the lights show on the tanks?

10. Marcia07

Marcia07 Thread Starter

I am sure this is the right colored cartridge. Canon cartridges are transparent in this printer and the color is identified on the cartridge. I think it has something to do with refilled cartridges. Canon doesn't like this but I have also purchased refilled cartridges and most of the time it worked. I fill my own very carefully. Unfortunately my printer's refusal to recognize the new cartridge is becoming more frequent. There is a Canon code to override this problem and I've followed it several times and it worked but I couldn't remember very step as it gave directions so quickly.

11. Marcia07

Marcia07 Thread Starter

Thanks FLAGS for the link to my printer cartridge problem search. You have given me some work to do on this fine Saturday in Michigan. Bless you. The sun is out!

12. SB305

SB305

This appeared on one forum I Googled:
    "I cleaned the chip as well as where it seats in the printer with a Q-tip cotton swab and some rubbing alcohol. That seemed to fix my problem (until it happens again"

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice